Quail cage best length

RUNuts

Smiling. I'm up to something.
6 Years
May 19, 2017
Swamps of Texas
I am planning and building our first quail cage. Done quite a bit of research. Need opinions from people who have done this before.
From research, 2 foot deep is best. Allows you to reach to the other side. Using dimensional lumber is 6 foot long easier to manage or should I go for the deluxe 8 footer?

Keep in mind that I'm semi mobile and not sure where they will finally settle at. I don't see the extra 2 feet weighing that much more, but it will be more cumbersome. I have space for both.

Alternate, different people keep different flock sizes. Any pro or con to keeping different flock sizes? Purpose is eggs and meat.

I am planning and building our first quail cage. Done quite a bit of research. Need opinions from people who have done this before.
From research, 2 foot deep is best. Allows you to reach to the other side. Using dimensional lumber is 6 foot long easier to manage or should I go for the deluxe 8 footer?

Keep in mind that I'm semi mobile and not sure where they will finally settle at. I don't see the extra 2 feet weighing that much more, but it will be more cumbersome. I have space for both.

Alternate, different people keep different flock sizes. Any pro or con to keeping different flock sizes? Purpose is eggs and meat.
If you make it 8' long and later decide it is too long to manage the occupants, you will easily be able to divide it into two 4' sections.

I haven't priced lumber lately but it used to be that it was just as cheap if not cheaper to buy the standard 8' lengths and cut them down to 6' as it was to buy 6' lengths.

Using reclaimed crate wood, I have 6' and 8' lengths. I believe using the 8' for cage length and 6' for legs will work. Subdivide if and when necessary.

So 1 large grow out cage for juveniles. 2' x 8'
Then in 2 months, a different for breeders? Making 2 of the same size may be preferred, lumber pile willing.
We have a plan.

Mine are 2'x3', but that's because they are inside and I'm limited by the size of the poop tray. I'm assuming your cages will be outside, 8 foot or 6 foot should work. Just make sure that you have doors in spots where you can reach all portions of the cage.

Back
Top Bottom