Quail cage in chicken run?

neo71665

Crowing
Mar 22, 2020
Arkansas
My chickens have a very well secure covered run. My plan was to build my quail cage in it elevated about 4 feet off the floor of the run. The 2 won't ever intermingle but they will kinda be sharing the same space. This still cause issues?

I want to mount it back there because it's covered, well protected, and IMHO wasted space.

The quail cage will be 2x10x2 feet. Will this be ok for about 24 birds?

I think that's a great idea!
That way you don't have to go far to collect both their eggs!
Just keep in mind the chicken run will be poopy so when you change the quail waterer/feeder/collect their eggs, it may be too poopy (especially in the rain)

Other than that, its a good idea. It will provide some shade for the chickens!

However, the cage does not sound big enough for 24 larger breed quail. I think the most you could fit would be around 16-20 comfortably.

Sorry they are gonna be bobwhite.

Not really worried about poop. I have to deal with cow poop while I walk to the chicken setup. A lil chicken or quail poop aint nothing.

I just looked at the wire I have and it's 3 foot wide so sorry, make the measurements 2 feet tall, 10 foot long, and 3 feet deep. Or do you think 2 feet tall is the issue. If I make it 3 foot tall I'll have to lower it to only being 3 foot off the floor. Can't go up due to the roof of the run.

Last edited:
Bobwhite need even more space than coturnix. That's definitely not big enough for that many.
Exactly. Either get a bigger cage or cut down the amount of quail...
Then again, up to you. But we just want your birds to feel comfortable.
As mentioned, your cage is definitely not big enough for 24 bobwhites.

How bout 12 birds? I can't make the cage much bigger as I only got 10x10x6 space that is covered. Guess I could build it on the 20 foot side but I'd have to put tin on that side of the run and move the door into the secure run.

From what I've read, bobwhite require at least 2 square feet per bird, so that would be barely enough room for them.

Just on a side note, have you made sure that you have any permits needed for bobwhites? They require permits to keep in most states.

@007Sean raises bobwhites, so he can probably give you more information.

Btw we had em when i was a kid but that was 30 something years ago. I've forgotten stuff and I'm sure things have changed since then

Back
Top Bottom