Quail chick feeder

ozzie

Crowing
16 Years
Nov 12, 2007
Australia (New South Wales)
Currently I just have an upturned jam jar lid. I thought I could use the chick (chicken) feeder that I originally had but the lip looks too big for quail chicks to eat over - they literally have to jump into it to get to the food (they are so much smaller than normal chicks). What do you use?

thanks
ozzie

Hi,

Here in the Uk mainly use this type of feeder and drinker:-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1-3-ltr-DRINK...240:1318|301:0|293:1|294:200#ebayphotohosting

In the beginning, mine are fed ad lib from a saucer, and only use the drinker with marbles in for the first week.

The feeders are introduced at about a week old, and can be raised as they grow, I find it saves a lot of food.

I'm sure the USA has simular products.

Ironsun.

Thank you - I'll just wait till they grow older and feed them from the jam jar lid in the meantime - I may use the saucer idea because the lid doesn't hold much food. As an aside, do you crush the food for them? The starter crumble looks so big. I moistened the first lot with warm water and they've been pecking on it.

ozzie

Hi,

I don't do anything to the crumbs I feed to my chicks, they manage perfectly, if you find them to big, you can always put them in a coffee grinders for a few seconds.

I also find it better to feed the crumbs dry, adding water to them and placing in hot brooder can turn the food sour.

They'll be fine as long as you show them the food and will start picking it up straight away.

Ironsun.

well tractor supply has special quail waterers for the quart water holders and i just made a lil' watering thing outta lego's lol i accidentally squished one though
hit.gif

Back
Top Bottom