Screaming quail chick

Retrosveni

In the Brooder
Mar 1, 2024
I have a problem with one of my quail chicks. They are exactly one week old now, 9 chicks are completely healthy and thriving. Number 10 is special though🥴
When it hatched it couldn't keep its head up and was just rolling around the first hours. I was sure it wouldn't make it. Next day it was walking, eating and drinking like the rest.
However, it keeps his head at an angle, like it's trying to look up with one eye. And sometimes it just walks backwards.
And it SCREAMS. All the time. I know that chicks scream when they are cold or in pain, but this chick only stops when it's sleeping or eating.
I wanted to give it a chance but now I'm not sure if that was the right decision. I need some help, what would you guys do in that situation?

I have a chick doing that. They just hatched several hours ago and the other 7 are fine, but one is acting like it hatched prematurely or something. It won't stop chirping. I gave it a bath and it fell asleep while I did that and through the blow drying. It seemed to help for a few minutes. Then I made a bed out of an old towel and they all seemed to like that, him included. That seems to be helping. I'm assuming these underachievers just need an extra day or two to catch up to their siblings, but in the meantime, drive us nuts.

Good luck. We both need it!

I have a problem with one of my quail chicks. They are exactly one week old now, 9 chicks are completely healthy and thriving. Number 10 is special though🥴
When it hatched it couldn't keep its head up and was just rolling around the first hours. I was sure it wouldn't make it. Next day it was walking, eating and drinking like the rest.
However, it keeps his head at an angle, like it's trying to look up with one eye. And sometimes it just walks backwards.
And it SCREAMS. All the time. I know that chicks scream when they are cold or in pain, but this chick only stops when it's sleeping or eating.
I wanted to give it a chance but now I'm not sure if that was the right decision. I need some help, what would you guys do in that situation?
Classic signs of wry neck. I have never been able to have a chick recover from wry neck but you can try, there are many remedies on the web, most use selenium and Vitamin E as the treatment.

Classic signs of wry neck. I have never been able to have a chick recover from wry neck but you can try, there are many remedies on the web, most use selenium and Vitamin E as the treatment.
I haven't had any Quail hatchlings with wry neck but have had turkeys with it. I have tried treating them with Vitamin supplements mainly Vitamin E and have been able to control symptoms but have never been able to cure. Symptoms in my cases always came back with any type of stress on bird. Some say its caused by genetics I am not sure on this but the 2 cases I had were both from my Penciled Red Palm line years apart, so there might be something to this. I haven't researched it at all so just giving my experiences with the 2 cases I had to deal with. Both cases removed from my lines.

I haven't had any Quail hatchlings with wry neck but have had turkeys with it. I have tried treating them with Vitamin supplements mainly Vitamin E and have been able to control symptoms but have never been able to cure. Symptoms in my cases always came back with any type of stress on bird. Some say its caused by genetics I am not sure on this but the 2 cases I had were both from my Penciled Red Palm line years apart, so there might be something to this. I haven't researched it at all so just giving my experiences with the 2 cases I had to deal with. Both cases removed from my lines.
I have had several pheasants with wry neck, Goldens, Ringnecked but never a quail with wry neck. I'm pretty sure it wasn't genetics but than again?...they were all shipped eggs, none of the home grown have had wry neck! so I feel pretty confident that it isn't a genetic issue within my flocks.

Back
Top Bottom