What should I do about my lonely quail?

karoopatroopa

In the Brooder
Sep 19, 2023
I have a male coturnix quail that will be around six months old very soon and he is the only quail I have. I've realized that he is probably very lonely and he crows a lot but due to other stuff in my life, I am not able to get any more quails. He roams around my house and has food and water in different areas, I'm not sure if this is good for him but he really likes my mom and is very attached to her and likes to cuddle with her. He also really likes her room and loves to sleep on towels next to her bed. I don't know if letting him just walk around freely in my house is okay or not but we are very careful about him and make very sure that we don't step on, kick, or accidentally hurt him in any way. He has a cage but he just really doesn't like it (probably because he's very lonely and bored) and he would keep sticking his head out and try to fly out but after we let him walk around he was a lot happier and doesn't scream as much now. He also has a dust bath that he enjoys very much and we clean up all of his poop. I still don't know what to do in this situation though regarding him not having any other quails. I have tried mirrors before and stuffed animals as well and he doesn't really like any of that, he doesn't scream as much when he's with my mom but he still crows a fair amount. He lives inside my house almost exclusively because there are coyotes where I live from time to time and my neighbors have cats that sometimes like to sneak into my backyard. He allows us to hold him for the most part and is okay with petting and sometimes he likes to cuddle and sleep in our arms. I see him more as a pet and I care about him a lot, I just want to make sure that he is okay. I'm wondering if this is okay for him and what I should do in this situation, any advice is greatly appreciated, thank you!

Quail are social birds by their very nature and need to have other quail around them. If you can, I suggest working to find a way to get additional birds. I understand that other stuff can interfere, but I don't think it's really fair to the bird to keep him alone. He should have at least 3, preferably 5, hens. Another male as company might be an option if you can't find hens, but integration would have to be done very carefully. Another alternative would be to try to find someone who needs a male for their covey and who might be willing to let you visit frequently.

Quail are social birds by their very nature and need to have other quail around them. If you can, I suggest working to find a way to get additional birds. I understand that other stuff can interfere, but I don't think it's really fair to the bird to keep him alone. He should have at least 3, preferably 5, hens. Another male as company might be an option if you can't find hens, but integration would have to be done very carefully. Another alternative would be to try to find someone who needs a male for their covey and who might be willing to let you visit frequently.
I read somewhere else on Backyard chicken that males are only supposed to have 3 females but i agree

Back
Top Bottom