1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Quail chick leg problem

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Rashid100, Dec 2, 2014.

1. Rashid100

Rashid100 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2014
    hello everyone,
    I got 2 healthy chicks from my recent batch of button quails but one them seems to have weak legs. He eats and drinks well and is perfectly active, but walks like he has no grip (like chicks walk on smooth surfaces) even though the brooder floor has rough paper towel. Also when he sits, his feet are spread out as if they are splayed. How can I fix this? Any replies would help a ton!
    Thanks

2. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

Put up a picture or video if you can. So many things that can cause these types of issues we need to see it. Don't want to tell you try fixing splayed legs and it has a nutrient deficiency ya know?

3. Rashid100

Jul 13, 2014
    It seems worse now :( since he is heavier, he's having a harder time walking
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Rashid100

Jul 13, 2014
    I think his legs are partially splayed. The first time in the brooder, he climbed on to the slippery thermometer and slid around quiet a bit before I got him off. How should I fix it :(

5. dc3085

BYC has a lot of threads that aren't stickies that will come up at the top of searches if you even get close on your question. That happens because they are very useful threads and almost always have exceptionally high post and view counts.

Here is a thread that shows how to fix it with pictures and details. All I did to find it was type splay leg in the search bar and it was the first result. I'm not picking on you just helping enable you to find answers to the everyday questions a lot faster.

6. quailmann

quailmann Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2014
    Hi

This week 3 of my layers tell over and were lying on their sides. I took 2 out and kept them in isolation and they got better. It seemed that one of their legs was weak. Their toes seemed shriveled. After 3 days of isolation they have got up and are hopping around on one leg

Other bird is still down. Nutrient deficiency?

7. Rashid100

Jul 13, 2014
    I tried the band aid method. Hope it works. How long should I let it be on?

8. dc3085

Nutrient deficiency or nerve damage would be my first guess but there are diseases that affect legs. What exactly are you feeding them? Do you have lights on them for egg production? if so tell me about the lights. Have they had all free, uninterrupted access to water? Inspect them closely for wounds around their heads and necks, is it possible they flushed into in the ceiling in fear? Head injuries can cause these sorts or problems too.

If you can't make it to a pet store put some sugar in their water, otherwise almost all pet or feed stores will have a liquid vitamin/electrolyte solution like vitasol or sav a chik.

Try to pay as close of attention as possible to anything that could be a symptoms, consistency of feces, wheezing or other respiratory ails, repetitive nervous movements like head twitches, circling or walking backwards, etc.

Rashid, I'm guessing you'll want to change it every other day or possibly every day to avoid it restricting development. It isn't a problem I fix for a couple of reasons but for someone keeping them as pets I'm sure it's worth it. I have long eliminated slip surfaces so when it happens in my brooder or bator I have no way to prove that it isn't a genetic deficiency of their joints or muscles and can't in good conscience add that blood to any of my lines.

9. quailmann

Nov 8, 2014
    I feed them layer feed, sadly only 15% protein. They get moringa, kale sometimes. Not very regularly. There might be a calcium shortage also. The feed contains 1.5% calcium only

I clean water troughs daily. More than once a day if they have pooped in it. Lights are on from 6-11pm. There used to be a CFL 60watt just a week back I replaced it with a 12watt LED . There's enough sunlight until 6pm. Sometimes when there r chicks then the chick cages have broader lights (yellow color).

10. quailmann

Nov 8, 2014
    *Brooder lights not broader lights sorry.

Hitting the ceiling happens. Maybe thats one reason. I will add a vitamin/ electrolyte solution soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by