Quail chick leg problem

Way too many factors to be able to isolate a cause. You really have a responsibility to feed them properly and 15% protein is akin to feeding a human child only top ramen noodles it's whole life, or feeding a dog only cat food. They are from the other side of the world and have a biology that has developed over many thousands of years. They need no less than 20%, at least if you can't do anything else please switch to flock raiser, it's not great but it's miles better than layer. They really should be getting 24% protein but at least won't suffer from 20%. Your thrift level should increase dramatically as well.

Not using full spectrum lighting can also cause vitamin D deficiency. LED lights do not qualify as full spectrum. Things don't "get" vitamin D from the sun, they need full spectrum lighting to properly metabolize the vitamin D they get from other sources. You're forcing them to do something that is directly opposed to what their metabolism is programmed for, and then doing it in a way that can have even further negative health impacts. They will already live a much shorter life because of forced production, and you can count on it being further shorter with improper lights and poor feed.

Flushing deaths can usually be avoided by having ceilings either too high, too low, or have a soft barrier attached a few inches below the roof.

I'm not trying to pick on you but these are exotic animals essentially and we have a responsibility to go out of our way to care for them since we went out of our way to get them.

I understand. We only have broiler starter 19% and broiler finisher here apart from layer feed. So I'll move onto broiler starter then. It's about 20% more expensive than layer feed. Since I make a living and hope to go bigger scale by selling eggs, I'll need to look at alternative ways to reduce food cost. Any ideas? FF maybe?

I have access to CFL, incandescent and halogen bulbs. Which do you think is best and how many watts?

I totally understand what your saying. I'm new to quails and trying to make them as comfortable as possible.

I stay away from non commercialized food advice because it's a very contentious subject. People trying to feed themselves something organic or natural or just of a lower cost, is totally understandable, but currently there are no low cost or truly organic/GMO free feeds available widely that are formulated for quail and my opinion on the matter is less than popular with people seeking those alternatives.

The best way to lower feed cost and not worry about nutritional values is to co-op with others in your area on "custom" milled feed. If you look around a little I bet you'll find some sort of local mill that can mill proper feed and may be able to give you a bulk or wholesale discount.

CFLs are going to be closer to proper lighting. Look up a full spectrum CFL bulb and you should get plenty of results.

This thread has a lot of educational material on lighting

I feed them layer feed, sadly only 15% protein. They get moringa, kale sometimes. Not very regularly. There might be a calcium shortage also. The feed contains 1.5% calcium only

I clean water troughs daily. More than once a day if they have pooped in it. Lights are on from 6-11pm. There used to be a CFL 60watt just a week back I replaced it with a 12watt LED . There's enough sunlight until 6pm. Sometimes when there r chicks then the chick cages have broader lights (yellow color).

Where are you located? Do you have access to higher protein feed? You can increase the protein content of the feed you do have by fermenting it. Can you get or culture your own mealworms? They can help increase protein levels.

Quail hens must have access to calcium while they are actively laying. You can use the egg shells from eggs you and your family eat and just grind them up for your quail. If you can get it oyster shell is wonderful and cheap! Whatever your source for calcium feeding it free choice is best for your hens.

I'm in Sri Lanka. Know the place? Quite far from you guys. Importing hatching eggs are banned btw :(

Mealworms I can try. Whats the easiest way to breed them? Anything that doesn't smell is okay :)

Finally found powdered oyster shell! A 100 lb bag is $5. We also give them the shells we eat.

I dont know if you'd remember but that is why I was trying to supplement with liquid supplements earlier. Made a thread about it too. The other breeders do it. They substitute for the lack of protein and calcium by giving regular supplements.

Back
Top Bottom