Quail Chick With Curled Toes

TinaandJohnny

Chirping
Aug 23, 2022
Hey! I have a question for you all, when should I react and assist with fixing a cured toe on my quail chick? She’s the 3rd to hatch out of 7. Both the first ones had a great hatch, walking and running around. This one took a bit longer and one curled toe. When should I splint it and when can I say that it won’t resolve itself. I’ve splinted for curled toes before and fixed her up real nice but I am sure it was traumatizing and honestly, is very stressful for me. They all are already trying to eat and drink some. I always give my chicks electrolyte water from the “Save a Chick” brand and have read that sometimes that helps them. Let me know! Thanks! Here’s a photo. Hatched at 7:00pm. So about 4 hours old currently.

Attachments

• EACFCF06-94AA-427B-A788-7F2E692CEC78.jpeg
    EACFCF06-94AA-427B-A788-7F2E692CEC78.jpeg
    151.5 KB · Views: 50
The sooner you get it treated the better your chance of success. Get those toes taped as soon as possible, and they should improve within 24 hours or less.
Hey! So yeah looks like the curled toe resolved itself over night! I have 6 out of 7 babies out. One more still in. She’s got herself a hole to breathe out of but isn’t doing much work. When is a good time to assist? I get off work tonight at 8pm and can do it then if you think that would be appropriate? Let me know!

Hey! So yeah looks like the curled toe resolved itself over night! I have 6 out of 7 babies out. One more still in. She’s got herself a hole to breathe out of but isn’t doing much work. When is a good time to assist? I get off work tonight at 8pm and can do it then if you think that would be appropriate? Let me know!
I'm glad it fixed itself. That does happen sometimes within the first 24 hours.

Don't try to assist before 24 hours have passed. If you do decide to assist after that, be prepared for the chick to have problems. It is likely that it will not make it or you will need to cull even if you do assist. There is a small chance that it will be fine.

Don't try to assist before 24 hours have passed. If you do decide to assist after that, be prepared for the chick to have problems. It is likely that it will not make it or you will need to cull even if you do assist. There is a small chance that it will be fine.
So I assisted, left

left work early to do so and glad I did. She was wedged in there and was losing energy to get out. Barely any progress that I viewed through my camera. She came out with a neck that was super kinked kinda because she was stuck in one place for so long. 😔 BUT she’s about 4.5 hours old now and doing great! Toes are uncurled and neck is straight. 7/7 babies. Very pleased. In the photo she is the one in the food dish.

Attachments

• 349E4D2E-8821-4D68-8080-B099038D6B2D.jpeg
    349E4D2E-8821-4D68-8080-B099038D6B2D.jpeg
    661 KB · Views: 13

Back
Top Bottom