Quail chicks. Assisted hatch. Leg problems. All were shrink-wrapped. šŸ™

Kennas_Kritters

Songster
Dec 30, 2019
Polk City, FL
My Coop
My Coop
Had some shrink-wrapped quail chicks stuck in their eggs in the incubator due to a humidity and temp drop that I was unaware of until I got a new thermometer. I assisted them all and got them out of the eggs to find that 90% of the chicks I assisted have leg issues. One has a crooked neck and 7 have leg issues. 4 of the ones with leg problems have curled toes (1 of them has a left leg that sticks out in front of them and has curled toes), 1 has splayed leg (that one is doing better after hobbling legs overnight), 1 has curled toes on one foot and a twisted leg on the other side and 1 had curled toes and what looked like a bone poking out from behind the joint. 2 of them with curled toes are able to move around but the others can't get around. The splayed leg baby is walking well with a hobble and I believe will make a full recovery. All of the other babies aren't able to move around. Is there anything I can do for them to fix this or will I have to cull? 3 of them have already been culled. I feel so bad. Is this all caused by the shrink wrapping? I had 9 babies hatch before them that weren't shrink wrapped and weren't assisted and they are all healthy. Are there problems caused by me assisting or the shrinkwrapping? If the temp drop caused it I would think that the first 9 healthy babies would have issues as well but they're perfectly fine. Eating and drinking well. This is my first time hatching quail and was supposed to be a fun experience but instead is a sad one. šŸ˜ž Poor babies don't even have a chance. Trying not to beat myself up about it but I feel like I should've known about the humidity and temp being off. I had I thermometer in there but apparently my thermometer and my incubator were off by 2 degrees in temp and over 10% in humidity.

Back
Top Bottom