Quail chicks not feathering

rockgoblin

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 11, 2013
Hi
I have hatched a mixture of quail chicks which are nearly 3 weeks old.i have noticed that some of these chicks are not feathering on their back.Could anyone give me any advice

MANY THANKS

X2. This is either a protein issue, an aggression issue, or possibly a genetic issue causing very poor feathering.

Where did get these eggs, and what are you feeding them? Are they over crowded and over heating??

Thankyou for the replies

These are 3 separate chicks and they have just started on growers pellets. I know that they are not being picked on and are very happy in the brooder.I bought the eggs off a "breeder" in the uk.i think i will have to wait and see what happens>

thanks

X2. This is either a protein issue, an aggression issue, or possibly a genetic issue causing very poor feathering.

Where did get these eggs, and what are you feeding them? Are they over crowded and over heating??
Good to see you over here.

Thankyou for the replies

These are 3 separate chicks and they have just started on growers pellets. I know that they are not being picked on and are very happy in the brooder.I bought the eggs off a "breeder" in the uk.i think i will have to wait and see what happens>

thanks
They don't just not grow feathers. I can tell you with 100% certainty that those feathers are being removed by the other birds. What protein percentage is the feed there will be a tag on the bag that gives a crude protein %? How large are the pellets? Too large of food and they won't be able to eat enough.

LOL....Yes, I have been hiding in other areas of BYC. LOL But I am still alive and kicking!! Been working on expanding my chicken flock. :)
Chickens!?!?!? Don't you know they have diseases?
lau.gif

Quote:
gig.gif

You are too funny! Oh and I am sure my chickens are loaded with all kinds of things! But I am a paranoid, bio security, clean freak. Trust me, I am very very careful going between the species. But to be honest with you, I am more worried about my chickens catching something from my quail than the quail catching something from the chickens!! My quail are like tanks, built to live thru every disease, every bacteria, and are so freaking old, they must have steel immune systems to stay alive as long as they have.

When my chickens were young, they were always coming down with something! I was mediating them for all kinds of things. I was really worried them or me about transferring something over to the quail. But nope! These quail are going to be the longest living quail on the planet!!
lau.gif

When I first started with cots it was because my chickens were destroying my yard and the city only lets me have 3 anyway. I was sure my coturnix would get sick because I had the dirt lovingest chickens in the world, and the place I got them looked like they cleaned the brooders monthly or something. I know those chickens were infected with something(s) but just practicing simple bio-security I went unscathed for most of a year. I got rid of them so my grass would grow back.

Since the raccoon got me I've had to break my biosecurity for the first time in 3-4 years. I brought some quail back from a guy I'd sold chicks to, and he had chickens in the back yard with them. So far so good, but I've got my fingers crossed

Most diseases, bacteria's and virus's, don't last all that long off the host and in the environment. So you probably have nothing to worry about. But when in doubt, I use a 10% ammonia in water mixture and dose the area down. Ammonia kills everything.

As for your new quail, chances are they are ok. Not all chickens have diseases that transfer to quail. But you might keep a stock pile of meds in your RX cabinet just in case. Sulfadimethoxine will take care of coryza, Duramycin is excellent for intestinal enteritis's. Penicillin is good for soft tissue infections as is Doxycycline. Lots of good antibiotics out there for various things. Of course you have to catch these things early enough and you can usually save them all.

Back
Top Bottom