Quail chicks - update

E-quail-izer

Chirping
May 15, 2020
So my quail chicks are now 12 and 13 days old and growing super fast. So I had a 95% hatch rate and every single chick is still going strong (there are two little runts but I am watching them like the proverbial hawk). They have feathered out so much, they basically only have chick "heads" now. They hop and bounce all over and flap their wings like crazy one moment and within a couple of minutes the are all passed out, fast asleep! I must admit that even though this is my first time hatching Quail I have loved every moment. I am like a first time Dad, waking up during the night to check up on them. I have attempted to take a few snaps but it's like trying to get Pre-Schoolers to sit still and posé...

Attachments

• IMG_20200530_190910.jpg
    IMG_20200530_190910.jpg
    574.5 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20200530_190840.jpg
    IMG_20200530_190840.jpg
    437.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20200530_190825.jpg
    IMG_20200530_190825.jpg
    438.8 KB · Views: 10
Once the runts make it past the one-week marker, they're usually 'just fine'. That first week for the runts is the crucial one. They appear to be pharaoh colored, so you won't be able to feather-sex them for a few more weeks when they'll get their 'adult' colors/patterns. The baby-spots will fade on the males with their final juvenile molt. Cream colored chest with little to no spotting on a mature pharaoh colored bird *should be* male. Heavily speckled breast on a mature pharaoh colored bird *should be* female. If these birds have genetically diverse background (rosetta, tuxedoes, etc.), then your mileage may vary when feather-sexing your flock. You'll know soon enough (6 to 8 weeks from hatch to adulthood), when someone crows and another lays an egg.

So my quail chicks are now 12 and 13 days old and growing super fast. So I had a 95% hatch rate and every single chick is still going strong (there are two little runts but I am watching them like the proverbial hawk). They have feathered out so much, they basically only have chick "heads" now. They hop and bounce all over and flap their wings like crazy one moment and within a couple of minutes the are all passed out, fast asleep! I must admit that even though this is my first time hatching Quail I have loved every moment. I am like a first time Dad, waking up during the night to check up on them. I have attempted to take a few snaps but it's like trying to get Pre-Schoolers to sit still and posé...
Thank you for posting photos! I have 8 day old quail and their emergent colouring is very interesting!

Back
Top Bottom