Quail chicks - wet bedding?

alpinewelsummer

Songster
Mar 15, 2021
I have a peculiar problem with my 2 day old quail chicks--their bedding keeps getting wet!

I'm used to the problem with ducklings, but I never expected it with quail. I didn't even know that they make a mess with water.

Should I check their waterer for leaks? I keep waking up to the bedding being soaked. It's rather bizarre.

EDIT: I have the quail waterer from TSC, by the way. So it's the very thin waterer meant for the lil guys.

Last edited:
I have a peculiar problem with my 2 day old quail chicks--their bedding keeps getting wet!

I'm used to the problem with ducklings, but I never expected it with quail. I didn't even know that they make a mess with water.

Should I check their waterer for leaks? I keep waking up to the bedding being soaked. It's rather bizarre.

EDIT: I have the quail waterer from TSC, by the way. So it's the very thin waterer meant for the lil guys.

They do like to flap and kick bedding into the waterer which is likely wicking the water out and into the rest of the bedding. Try elevating the waterer up on something as that at least stops it getting wicked out. I often leave a bit of shelf liner or a lid under the waterer in an attempt to keep a bit of a barrier around it to keep it away from the bedding but once they get their wing feathers that no longer works as they love to flap and play. 🥰

They do like to flap and kick bedding into the waterer which is likely wicking the water out and into the rest of the bedding. Try elevating the waterer up on something as that at least stops it getting wicked out. I often leave a bit of shelf liner or a lid under the waterer in an attempt to keep a bit of a barrier around it to keep it away from the bedding but once they get their wing feathers that no longer works as they love to flap and play. 🥰

I see! I had no idea 😄 I'll elevate it a bit and that should help. Thank you so much!

Back
Top Bottom