Quail Chirping

atecom

Chirping
Feb 4, 2021
I bought a pair of Coturnix quail 2 days ago, intending to have 2 quail hens to keep as pets. I am in an apartment and convinced body corporate to allow me to keep 2 hens as they were less noisy. As time went on, it became increasingly obvious that one of them was a Roo. Eventually the telltale crow gave it away. So I went back and exchanged the Roo for a hen from the same hatch. No problems there, but now the Hen I originally had is making an extremely loud chirping noise very frequently, similar to a cricket, even louder than the call the Roo made. I read on here that the chirping noise is because it is lonely, but I thought it would be better to have 2 hens, rather than a hen and a rooster to avoid issues with overbreeding, and I don't really have room for more than 2 quails. The new hen is chirping also, but much quieter. Could this just be a temporary thing? Have I made the Hen lonely by taking away the Roo? Or is this just a normal noise hens make when paired up?

Thanks for the responses. They are 10-11 weeks old. I suspect That Tycine1 may be correct.

Back
Top Bottom