Quail Condo Update

Its funny how my post attempting to show how I raise my supper has turned into such a debate.
These animals aren't pets, they do not get names and longevity of life isn't much a concern. However I do strive to give them a good quality of life while they are here. These birds are born to live through 8-10 weeks. Layers and breeders a bit more. They will be culled each year.

Dust bathes have a purpose and I have stated multiple times I am for them. But one of the main reason a bird uses a dust bath is to smother parasites such as mites (I know they also clean the oil from their feathers). If you never introduce these to a caged animal then there shouldn't be as much of a need for them. I have seen many post of folks using Play Sand and plenty saying the silica can cause cancer. Again many post of folks using yard dirt. If you don't sterilize your dirt you risk brining parasites into your cage system. With that said it wouldn't be hard to do more bad than good with a dust bath. I do like that it gives them something to do besides eat and procreate.

There are birds raised to be pets and others to be food. The way they are raised will be different as the quality of life is different for both styles of keeping birds. The key is to understand there is more than 1 way to raise these birds so folks shouldn't be so short sided that their way is the only way.

I do appreciate all the kind words of some and hope this post in some way helps someone get into raising Quail. I'm not crazy that some of my words were quoted out of context to attempt something.
Zach, the head of Myshire Farms in the USA, is one of the largest, most reputable, and most knowledgeable hatcheries in the country. Zach recommends 3 to 3.5 quail per square foot. All of their quail are raised on wire. These are Best Practices for Homesteaders and Farmers who are raising quail for eggs and meat.

There is a difference in raising pets versus raising meat.
This attitude makes me think of the book Some We Love, Some We Hate, Some We Eat by Hal Herzog. Don't worry, it's not a vegan book (the author actually thinks it's a dangerous way to eat :p ). But it offers a really level look at the intersection of human culture, the global food supply chain, and the values and categories humans assign to other animals. It explores why "These puppies are on a wire floor for about 4 weeks before being slaughtered" doesn't sound as good to most westerners.

These are Best Practices for Homesteaders and Farmers who are raising quail for eggs and meat.
Best practices are not fixed and change over time, usually lagging considerably behind the evidence but changing nonetheless. Consumers also play a big role in change. The use of battery cages in U.S. chickens is already decreasing as people choose cage-free egg sources. Just think of the way the meat industry at large has changed over the last 150 years in the United States—imagine what we'll be doing 150 years from now.

This attitude makes me think of the book Some We Love, Some We Hate, Some We Eat by Hal Herzog. Don't worry, it's not a vegan book (the author actually thinks it's a dangerous way to eat :p ). But it offers a really level look at the intersection of human culture, the global food supply chain, and the values and categories humans assign to other animals. It explores why "These puppies are on a wire floor for about 4 weeks before being slaughtered" doesn't sound as good to most westerners.
For the most of my life our family has kept pets. These pets some days are treated to a better standard than I am. But we also have Farm animals kept for meat or egg production. This has been a hard transition for my wife. You cant humanize the feelings you think you animals feel. Animals for the most part are simple creatures. We are the ones who make things difficult. We want to treat them like grandbabies.

For instance we just had baby goats born last week. one was born premature. it is at least a week or more behind the stronger kid. The first thing my wife wanted to do was bring it inside to be warm. feed it artificial food because it was going to die. She ran to the Goat Emergency Forums and started reading and asking questions. In 2 hours she was more confused and scared. Ranchers said let it be and see what it does. Pet owners wanted it rushed to the vet. I had told her to put it back till I got home. It needs its mothers milk more than anything. reluctantly she did as I asked. Baby Ruth as we have came to call her is still half the size of her sister. she has splints on her front legs so she can walk on her hooves. But she is running around everywhere just living her best life. She doesn't know she has a handicap.

I have no issue with someone letting their birds perch on a gold plated pedestal if that makes your household function. But in truth our animals don't think about stuff as much as we do. Baby Ruth has no idea she is smaller than her sister.

Zach, the head of Myshire Farms in the USA, is one of the largest, most reputable, and most knowledgeable hatcheries in the country. Zach recommends 3 to 3.5 quail per square foot. All of their quail are raised on wire. These are Best Practices for Homesteaders and Farmers who are raising quail for eggs and meat.

I agree with this. I did a lot of research before buying my first 120 quail from Zach. Some say Quail need 1 square foot per bird. Others said 5 birds per square foot for layers with no rooster. On my breed level I have 18 birds in 12 square feet. On the layer level its about 3 birds per square feet. So I am inline with Zach's advice.

I'm not perfect and make changes daily to address needs on the farm. But I have no ornamental pets on my farm. Everything has a purpose and either works, makes us money or food in a manner that is safe and healthy. Even if that means someone reading this doesn't like how we do things.

And as far as the Vegan comment, when my wife got sick we went completely vegan in our home to keep her safe until we learned how to address her needs. Nashville Hot Chicken Fried Tofu is where its at....

Baby Ruth Playing

Quail living life

Back
Top Bottom