Quail cuddle puddles

My tamest quail is...

IMG_20200405_174043.jpg

...Pinga!
(also my profile pic)

I handraised her as a lone chick since she was abandoned by her parents and she's become the sweetest quail. She now lives with her siblings where there are always quail cuddle puddles, and a snuggle everyday with me.

Scrappy is so cute! My buttons are only 10 days old and already want nothing to do with me 😅 I knew they weren't particularly tameable birds but I still wish I could pick them up without them going crazy.
I find the same methods for taming Japanese Quail work for Painteds too, you just need to work harder to show them you aren't a threat. Painteds tend to go absolutely nuts when you try and pick them up in a cage, but when you go to pick them up outside the cage in a room, they are much more mellow. I assume it is because they feel less confined?

Just make sure you block all the nooks and crannies or you may need to rattle a bag for half an hour behind a couch to get them curious enough to approach it, then lift up the bag in the style of a reverse pitfall trap. XD

This is Scrappy and my sadly late Panic, my Blue Face Painted Quail hen. She was all, well... Panic when I went to take her out her cage, but was surprisingly chill once outside the cage, especially if Scrappy was out with her. Didn't keep them in the same cage as Scrappy would crush the poor thing, but I did have them out together.
20200219_170648.jpg

They are so sweet cuddled together! Thats a really interesting idea, I have one small room where letting them out would potentially work with a lot of patience. Did you try it when the were chicks? I've read that the older Chinese Painted quail get the less tameable they become, but also don't want to stress them out a lot when they're so young.

Back
Top Bottom