Quail died

ilyYQ

In the Brooder
May 20, 2022
Male coturnix 1 year old quail
1 week ago he suddenly couldnt walk ( was still eating drinking and pooping normally)
he somehow naturally recovered over the course of 3 days
just when he recovered (still had a limp)
he fell sick again, and this time the symptoms were:
Unhealthy vent, smelly, couldnt fly, lethargic, didnt make any noises, wouldnt eat (i forcefully made him drink some water)
He was really thin and weak
then he died (with his eyes open)
i noticed that there was a egg next to him, which meant his mate sat next to him when he was dying
what couldve been the cause of his death?
he had mites (swollen eyes) but otherwise he was sassy and healthy

Male coturnix 1 year old quail
1 week ago he suddenly couldnt walk ( was still eating drinking and pooping normally)
he somehow naturally recovered over the course of 3 days
just when he recovered (still had a limp)
he fell sick again, and this time the symptoms were:
Unhealthy vent, smelly, couldnt fly, lethargic, didnt make any noises, wouldnt eat (i forcefully made him drink some water)
He was really thin and weak
then he died (with his eyes open)
i noticed that there was a egg next to him, which meant his mate sat next to him when he was dying
what couldve been the cause of his death?
he had mites (swollen eyes) but otherwise he was sassy and healthy
Sorry to hear he died, I saw you had posted about that on your other thread.

I see now you are listing more symptoms than on the other. Even with the addition of those, it would be hard to know why he died. Mites can suck the life out of a bird, so if he had a hen with him, you need to check her over really well and treat her with Permthrin if you find mites.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/quail-limping.1544770/#post-26094945

Sorry to hear he died, I saw you had posted about that on your other thread.

I see now you are listing more symptoms than on the other. Even with the addition of those, it would be hard to know why he died. Mites can suck the life out of a bird, so if he had a hen with him, you need to check her over really well and treat her with Permthrin if you find mites.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/quail-limping.1544770/#post-26094945
okay. thank you
btw, is it possible for quails to change gender?
i had a female quail who was living alone for a month (i was really busy so i didnt have time to buy a mate for her)
when the male quail died, i put her with the male quail's mate/
she tried to mate with her
i seperated them and after a min the female quail went back to normal
also around 4 months ago, she dropped a piece of flesh from her vent (i hv no idea how but she was fine)
could it be that she tried to mate with the other quail even tho she was a female because she was kept in isolation for a month>??

okay. thank you
btw, is it possible for quails to change gender?
i had a female quail who was living alone for a month (i was really busy so i didnt have time to buy a mate for her)
when the male quail died, i put her with the male quail's mate/
she tried to mate with her
i seperated them and after a min the female quail went back to normal
also around 4 months ago, she dropped a piece of flesh from her vent (i hv no idea how but she was fine)
could it be that she tried to mate with the other quail even tho she was a female because she was kept in isolation for a month>??
No. The actions you saw was an act of dominance and aggression, when birds are introduced, sometimes one may do that to show the other they are higher up in pecking order.
Not sure what a piece of flesh would be unless you took photos. Could have been a membrane, a yolk follicle, etc.
Quail do not have appendages; all their sexual organs are "internal" so that was not what you saw.

Back
Top Bottom