Quail Diseases, what are they, how to know???

Thank you TwoCrows

I just checked its the right foot
I washed the foot with warm water she liked that
I can't see any kind of injury though
The foot is bothering her cause when I put a little pressure on the joints she squirms a bit
I separated her and put her on a bed of wood shavings
at first she was scratching all around having a good time but now she seems a little lonely and just walks back and forth in front of the cage
I'll just keep a eye on her and see how she comes along
It may just be an injury. I doubt only one foot would be effected with arthritis. You might put a friend in there with her so she is not alone.

But I would imagine keeping her quiet on some soft bedding for a week or so, it should clear up.

Good luck and keep us posted!

X2 most likely an injury. Were they kept on wire before you got them?

There is no signs of swelling or a scabs anywhere on the foot other than the joints

The breeder I got them from keeps most of is birds in a large indoor flight pen with wood chips on top of a concrete floor
I don't think that they have ever steeped on a wire floor till they they got to my place
They have only been here two weeks next Monday
It probably already had that when I got her I just didn't notice it before

There is no signs of swelling or a scabs anywhere on the foot other than the joints

The breeder I got them from keeps most of is birds in a large indoor flight pen with wood chips on top of a concrete floor
I don't think that they have ever steeped on a wire floor till they they got to my place
They have only been here two weeks next Monday
It probably already had that when I got her I just didn't notice it before
Probably a splinter it got at a young age or something. I had a bird get a mystery wound on its (knee?) the joint stayed swollen to 2 or 3 times the size permanently. I kept it full circle and it produced a whole lot of healthy little chicks. Don't get me wrong the thing limped its whole life but the alternative was limping to a freezer bag so I think it the bird was happy with my decision. My rule of thumb is that if it can safely and freely access food and water and isn't getting picked on then leave them be. Every once in a while you will get one that gets hung up in the wire and loses a toe or gets an eye pecked out, but as long as they can do what they do I don't worry about it too much.

Back
Top Bottom