Quail Diseases, what are they, how to know???

sniper338

Songster
9 Years
Dec 15, 2013
San Antonio, Texas
Since I had one of my birds die unexpectedly it has me wondering about diseases or sicknesses quail can get, and how to watch for it or signs of somethings wrong....

So what are the main problems quail have? What do I look for to identify each? How are they treated?

Keep your cages clean, don't let anyone who raises gamebirds or poultry handle your birds or bird items, don't bring home live birds ever again once you know that your first group here is healthy, that will eliminate most of the ways your birds get sick. However the article james linked is a must read because mosquitos and other pest can also transmit diseases to quail although rare.

I noticed on one of my Hens that she was favoring one foot and this is what i saw
some kind of arthritis or rheumatism I think

Take a look

is there anything that can be done to help

I noticed on one of my Hens that she was favoring one foot and this is what i saw

Take a look

First, take a look at the bottom of the foot at the pad. Is there injury, poked holes or bruising to the pad? Sometimes a foot infection, (bumblefoot) can cause the top of the foot and foot joint to swell. You would need to keep this bird on soft bedding for awhile, soak the foot in some epsom salts daily and some people have even done surgery on the pad to remove the puss ball in the pad. I have worked on chickens with bumblefoot, but never a quail. But it can be done. You can also apply antibacterial topical meds to the injuries on the pad. No wire flooring for several weeks.

Which foot is this....left or right? MS, which is a bacterial infection that effects the left foot only of poultry causes extreme swelling of the foot joint and toe joints. (you would most likely not see any injury to the food pad) Only very long term antibiotic usage, and the right type used, will destroy MS. Wicked bacteria.

Arthritis in old birds, (usually over 3 years old) can cause twisted swollen joints. I have a couple of old birds with arthritis. I have been using apple cider vinegar in the water daily, (2 tablespoons AVC to one gallon of water) as it helps reduce inflammation, I am also adding a fish meal based supplement as this also helps reduce inflammation and oils up the joints. Along with these things, I am offering up an infra-red heat lamp for 15 mins first thing in the morning to get the stiff birds moving. Infra-red spectrum lighting will increase circulation and is very penetrating, getting deep into the bones.

Could be any of these things or something else completely. But either way, keep this bird off wire floors for some time. Offer up some soft bedding so the leg and foot has an easier time.

Good luck!

Take a look

Also....arthritis usually strikes both feet and or hips. Not usually just one foot.

And I forgot to add this in the first post....sorry. This could be something as simple as an injury. In this case, lots of rest on soft bedding will greatly help. :)

Thank you TwoCrows

I just checked its the right foot
I washed the foot with warm water she liked that
I can't see any kind of injury though
The foot is bothering her cause when I put a little pressure on the joints she squirms a bit
I separated her and put her on a bed of wood shavings
at first she was scratching all around having a good time but now she seems a little lonely and just walks back and forth in front of the cage
I'll just keep a eye on her and see how she comes along

Back
Top Bottom