Quail - Dispatching technique

Thanks for the feedback guys, but noone knows the answer to the question?

Not knocking them out is not an option for me (if I go with quails again) since it is required by law in my home country.

Thanks for the feedback guys, but noone knows the answer to the question?

Not knocking them out is not an option for me (if I go with quails again) since it is required by law in my home country.
If you have to knock them unconscious first, they should twitch and go out fast.

If you have to hit them on the head first, I think I would hit them hard enough to kill it outright. Killing it fast is far more humane.

If you have to knock them out, would your country allow cervical dislocation? You tug on their head and they die. It's considered a humane technique in the UK.
I'm currently not in my home country (Norway), but the main rule (when not a butcher) is to use CO2.

However, for small foul (might be all animals below 3 or is it 5 kg?) the law allows cervical dislocation AFTER they have been knocked unconscious (there are other allowed techniques as well). I will probably do that next time if/when I decided to do quail again.

My fear is that I didn't use enough force when knocking them unconscious, i.e that my first whack was just a heavy (painful) blow.

Noone with experience in knocking quail unconscious that can share 1) how hard to hit, and 2) how long it takes between impact and rolling of eyes? (i.e immediately, one second, two seconds, 5 seconds?)

I'm currently not in my home country (Norway), but the main rule (when not a butcher) is to use CO2.

However, for small foul (might be all animals below 3 or is it 5 kg?) the law allows cervical dislocation AFTER they have been knocked unconscious (there are other allowed techniques as well). I will probably do that next time if/when I decided to do quail again.

My fear is that I didn't use enough force when knocking them unconscious, i.e that my first whack was just a heavy (painful) blow.

Noone with experience in knocking quail unconscious that can share 1) how hard to hit, and 2) how long it takes between impact and rolling of eyes? (i.e immediately, one second, two seconds, 5 seconds?)
Dont hit quail on the head, its a bad idea. Use another method. Hitting on the head is completely inhumane as you discovered.

Back
Top Bottom