Quail - Dispatching technique

I'm currently not in my home country (Norway), but the main rule (when not a butcher) is to use CO2.

However, for small foul (might be all animals below 3 or is it 5 kg?) the law allows cervical dislocation AFTER they have been knocked unconscious (there are other allowed techniques as well). I will probably do that next time if/when I decided to do quail again.

My fear is that I didn't use enough force when knocking them unconscious, i.e that my first whack was just a heavy (painful) blow.

Noone with experience in knocking quail unconscious that can share 1) how hard to hit, and 2) how long it takes between impact and rolling of eyes? (i.e immediately, one second, two seconds, 5 seconds?)
I used co2 with rat pups many years ago when we had a snake and it was very easy, if that’s an option for you, I would do that instead of hitting them. In my experience, I put some treats in a bowl in a container, added the rats, started the co2, shut the lid, and they happily ate, started yawning, and peacefully fell asleep. Then I could remove them and the snake would eat them because they weren’t dead, but neither risked trauma or injury.

I used co2 with rat pups many years ago when we had a snake and it was very easy, if that’s an option for you, I would do that instead of hitting them. In my experience, I put some treats in a bowl in a container, added the rats, started the co2, shut the lid, and they happily ate, started yawning, and peacefully fell asleep. Then I could remove them and the snake would eat them because they weren’t dead, but neither risked trauma or injury.
An inexpensive (but imprecise) way of administering co2 is baking soda and vinegar. I've used this to kill large rats before.

I'm still perplexed as to why you need to bonk them on the head as a means of "humane" treatment in your country. Also, who in the world would know if you didn't administer this "humane" treatment of head-bonking?

An inexpensive (but imprecise) way of administering co2 is baking soda and vinegar. I've used this to kill large rats before.

I'm still perplexed as to why you need to bonk them on the head as a means of "humane" treatment in your country. Also, who in the world would know if you didn't administer this "humane" treatment of head-bonking?
You never know who will turn on you later.

Thanks for the feedback guys, but noone knows the answer to the question?

Not knocking them out is not an option for me (if I go with quails again) since it is required by law in my home country.
That law needs to be changed or you need to be brave enough to break it. That is a totally inhumane law. C'mon Norway, do better.
Dont hit quail on the head, its a bad idea. Use another method. Hitting on the head is completely inhumane as you discovered.

The idea about knocking them unconscious sounds good - if it's done correct then it should be humane.

Probably a good idea for noobs to do anyway, imagine realizing that your sharp scissor wasn't sharp enough - or your technique was wrong - and that your first attempt didn't succeed in killing the bird.

Will probably look into CO2 in the future. I were a bit sceptical whether it could stress the birds out when they felt the oxygen levels were too low, but seems that they might not notice/mind and that it is rather humane (and easy).

The idea about knocking them unconscious sounds good - if it's done correct then it should be humane.

Probably a good idea for noobs to do anyway, imagine realizing that your sharp scissor wasn't sharp enough - or your technique was wrong - and that your first attempt didn't succeed in killing the bird.

Will probably look into CO2 in the future. I were a bit sceptical whether it could stress the birds out when they felt the oxygen levels were too low, but seems that they might not notice/mind and that it is rather humane (and easy).
In my experience with rats, they never noticed, just started yawning and stretching out. I had one who didn’t get knocked out enough and when I opened the container he sprang back awake and ran into the house. I had to end up setting traps to get him, he was happily living behind my fridge for 2 days! So I would say the co2 is not traumatic, it’s like Tylenol pm for small critters.

Do you need shears or does an axe work! Hubby and I use axe for chickens but the little quail seem to not have so much neck.

Back
Top Bottom