Quail dying! Help!

brookly2007

Chirping
8 Years
Sep 4, 2013
My quail are about 8 wks old and we have wormed then and keep electrolytes in their water. They have a big nice coop. Everyday we feed there will be maybe one dead. Not everyday but most days. Sometimes it will be more than one and today it was 7!! There was one in the corner all puffed up like they so when they are sick and it wouldn't run away like usual so I put my hand close to it and bumped it a little to make it run and it just fell over so I picked it up and looked like a clear liquid coming from its beak. What is going on. Is this some kind of disease or something I need to treat then with or what. Please help!

In the south so the weather is hot. They are in a brand new coop about a 12' x 14'. We feed laaying crumbles and keep electrolytes in their water. Also worm them regularly. They are a little older than 8 wks. One thing i didnt mention is we just put some new quail in the coop. I know bobwhites are territorial so we watched them for a while. They would chase a little but not very often. i did some research last night and i think they have enteritis??? I may be wrong but the symptoms seemed right on. Bc they will fluff up and sit in corners and not be very active. I read that the stress of moving and a new place could cause this. And to give them some penicillin or teramycine. Please corect me if i am wrong.

This is what i read that i think is happening to my birds. his problems sound a lot like mine.

" Could also be enteritis, otherwise known as quail disease. The puffed up look is a symptom of that. You can open up a dead bird and see the "ulcers" on the intestines. The birds carry this with them then from some sort of stress (like being moved to your place, new pen, new feed, new water, anything), it flares up and before you know it they die. Always isolate new birds and medicate with something like terramycin when you first bring them home to help relieve the stress of the move. BMD (bacitracin), or penicillin in the water takes care of the enteritis. "

Can somebody please help!
bow.gif

In the south so the weather is hot. They are in a brand new coop about a 12' x 14'. We feed laaying crumbles and keep electrolytes in their water. Also worm them regularly. They are a little older than 8 wks. One thing i didnt mention is we just put some new quail in the coop. I know bobwhites are territorial so we watched them for a while. They would chase a little but not very often. i did some research last night and i think they have enteritis??? I may be wrong but the symptoms seemed right on. Bc they will fluff up and sit in corners and not be very active. I read that the stress of moving and a new place could cause this. And to give them some penicillin or teramycine. Please corect me if i am wrong.
Well, you never stated if you have another species of quail in addition to the bobwhites. If so, then you should separate the 2 species. Bobwhites are agressive and will kill any other species they are mixed with. Another thing that you didn't make clear is the age of the new bobwhites you introduced.

You stated that you "deworm" them, but just to be sure, here is a link to deworming.

Also, here is something on feeding crumbles to quail. I only use the DuMor chick starter from Tractor Supply Co, and have not had any problems since April.

I hope this helps.
James

I'd say do whatever you can to make them comfy. Sit & watch their pen for a few mins or more. See if a sound, light or other bird is freaking them out & correct the issue. If they're huddling, they still may be too cold. Sick birds need more heat. Give them a corner with a heat lamp so they can go to it if they need it.

I don't know what you're feeding them other than just crumbles? I'd moisten it with diluted yogurt & water so it's easier for them to digest. I'd also give them grass plugs (dirt clumps) so they can pick at the soil (they love this) & eat the grit.

It's very good to put them on a natural immune boosting diet from the beginning so you're less likely to run into the problems you're having. Do it gradually now though as too much change will stress them. Give them fresh sources of fruit (apples, pears, etc) diced well & mixed into their feed (so they don't notice), give them something to pick at when they're bored (a small head of lettuce or scratch), garlic & oregano are great at boosting immune systems. You can sneak the latter two in (minced) into their feed & build up over a few days. I also give mine paprika, to reduce the chance of parasites, but not much at all - just a couple dashes.

You didn't say how many birds you had, but the pen you mentioned sounds huge. I'd put in a divider to reduce the size so they're not so intimidated by a huge pen. I'd then gradually toss in a nest box or two if you haven't already, talk gently to them (if they are comforted by your voice) so the changes don't upset them.

How tame are yours btw? Like, can you put your hand in there, they hop on & fall asleep?

Thanks for the advice James. I only have bobwhite and the new ones are about 9 wks and my other birds are about 14 wks.

Quailsong I wouldn't think they were getting cold bc it stays about 92 degrees here. I have about 120 birds total. I go into their pen everyday but they still all run. and I do talk to them(sounds crazy I know lol)

I just don't understand why they are dying off like this. I was thinking maybe coccidiosis

The last few that have died has been laid over like they were dead but would actually still be alive... They would flap there wings if you tried to pick them up but it's like they can't stand... They would just lay there and looks almost like they are gasping for air... There mouths just open and close, open and close... Does this sound like some kind of respiratory problem or just the stages of dying.. When I got home this evening I had four more dead and one was still doing that breathing thing and had been since lunch time.. Please help I am getting desperate:(

Sounds like stress to me mixing age groups is tricky I don't advise it and one cup of sugar per gallon of water helps with stress and cost effective may not solve your problem but won't hurt . When you move your birds try to do it at night old trick me grandpa taught me seems to help . If you find a bully or very dominate male you might want to remove him.

Back
Top Bottom