Quail Egg Laying

madcobirds

Hatching
6 Years
Oct 11, 2013
Have just started raising some Cortunix Quail and had real good egg production up until a couple of weeks ago. I put up a light on a timer to give them about 15 or so hours of light, I have not seen any improvement in production. Could it be temperature? It is getting into the high 40's low 50's here at night.( central VA)

I have some bobs that just started laying we are in kentucky with about the same temps. I have 14 hours of light on them and they are outside.

Set it to 14 hours, it's possible that 15 hours is too much? (I'm thinking not likely, but worth a try) How old are they? It's also possible that they are moulting, any sign of that? If so then they should start laying when they come out of the moult.

As a matter of fact they do look like they are molting, I took the advice of the oyster shell grit, And I did get one egg yesterday! Thanks for the advice from everyone!

I am new to Cortunix as well. I put a light on mine for 14-15 hours a day. I noticed a took a good week or so to get them back into laying mode, I think it takes a while for their bodies to adjust. I filled my incubator and shut the light off a week ago, and they are still cranking the eggs out.

Yeah, I thought that the too much light might be unlikely, but I know too much light can affect their laying badly if they're not used to it.

Back
Top Bottom