Quail egg song!

thespinningcottage

Songster
10 Years
Jun 24, 2009
Arcadia, Florida
We've had our two coturnix hens inside for about a week now. They're living a very pampered life in a guinea pig cage and are active and seem happy. I have noticed that right before they lay an egg, they make a very sweet squeaky song. It starts low, then rises and turns into a tuneful trill that lasts until they lay the egg. Then they walk away as if nothing happened and seek out the food cup again! We never would have noticed this if we hadn't brought them inside. Just one more reason to love my quail!
love.gif

We've had our two coturnix hens inside for about a week now.  They're living a very pampered life in a guinea pig cage and are active and seem happy.  I have noticed that right before they lay an egg, they make a very sweet squeaky song.  It starts low, then rises and turns into a tuneful trill that lasts until they lay the egg.  Then they walk away as if nothing happened and seek out the food cup again!  We never would have noticed this if we hadn't brought them inside.  Just one more reason to love my quail!  /img/smilies/love.gif

I know this is old but my quail just started laying and one sings a beautiful song when she lays but not the other 3. Mine live on the porch and it took about a 1/2 dz eggs before I heard it! It is really beautiful :)

When I got out to work the birds, first I collect eggs, then do the food then water. many times I'll hear the sound you described so I know theres more eggs to pick up before I go out.

Its probably a double yolker, laid by a golden hen that lays a lot of doubles, and she laid an earlier egg that was 20 grams.

I wish I could reign her in, I'm afraid I'm going to lose her to a prolapse.

What kind of bird do you have laying something like that?

I only got 10 out of my jumbo brown hatch, and am hoping I get the number of females I want, but I think maybe will have to mix your blood line into them.
1f60e.png

Back
Top Bottom