Quail eggs arrived!

Dogfish

Rube Goldberg incarnate
9 Years
Mar 17, 2010
Western Washington
A friend had made an offer to send me some Valley quail eggs, so I took him up. Today I received a box of eggs which will go promptly into the incubator. Should be fun, and hopefully I'll have something to report in 21-22 days. Only lost one, which was cracked upon receipt.
0716101104.jpg

We head over to a heritage turkey breeder tomorrow to pick out a few poults to start our new flock of turkeys. Birds are addictive!

Neat. Were they shipped or hand-delivered? I'd be curious to know what your success rate is when they hatch. My first shipped eggs this year were turkey eggs where 7 or 9 hatched. With my button quail, it was only 8 out of 24 that went into the incubator. The shipping seems hard on them, no matter how well packed.

Years ago, I ordered an expensive hand-made solid maple quilting frame for my mother for Xmas. I was right there by the front door when UPS pulled up, so I went out into the falling November snow just in time to catch the guy literally throwing the boxes off the back of the truck. I said, "hey, that's almost $1,000 worth of hand made furniture, please be careful" -- his smart alec reply was, "well, it's worth a couple of hundred less now." It's good thing I knew the guy and was on good terms with him.

Wow, would he be my friend too? I have always wanted valley quail, but they are hard to find in my area and shipped eggs can be such a disappointment hatching. I will probably try and order some eggs sometime though.

They were shipped about 400 miles, USPS 2 day for $6.56, in the double pistol case you see there. Got them into the incubator and discovered another cracked one. I'll ship the pistol case back with a present, like a nice flask of Maker's Mark, or something similar. Inexpensive cases run about $10-20.

Back
Top Bottom