Quail eggs arrived!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Dogfish, Jul 16, 2010.

1. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    A friend had made an offer to send me some Valley quail eggs, so I took him up. Today I received a box of eggs which will go promptly into the incubator. Should be fun, and hopefully I'll have something to report in 21-22 days. Only lost one, which was cracked upon receipt.
    [​IMG]

We head over to a heritage turkey breeder tomorrow to pick out a few poults to start our new flock of turkeys. Birds are addictive!

2. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Neat. Were they shipped or hand-delivered? I'd be curious to know what your success rate is when they hatch. My first shipped eggs this year were turkey eggs where 7 or 9 hatched. With my button quail, it was only 8 out of 24 that went into the incubator. The shipping seems hard on them, no matter how well packed.

Years ago, I ordered an expensive hand-made solid maple quilting frame for my mother for Xmas. I was right there by the front door when UPS pulled up, so I went out into the falling November snow just in time to catch the guy literally throwing the boxes off the back of the truck. I said, "hey, that's almost $1,000 worth of hand made furniture, please be careful" -- his smart alec reply was, "well, it's worth a couple of hundred less now." It's good thing I knew the guy and was on good terms with him.

3. ranit

ranit Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Illinois
    Wow, would he be my friend too? I have always wanted valley quail, but they are hard to find in my area and shipped eggs can be such a disappointment hatching. I will probably try and order some eggs sometime though.

4. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    How were they shipped? Looks like a good box!

But for valley quail eggs, it was probably worth it.

5. _Randall_

_Randall_ Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Grenada, Ms
    Now that's a custom egg carton!!!!

6. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Thats A Gun Case.... Quite An Effect Transport Vessel I Should Imagine, Tho A Tad Bit Pricey [​IMG]

7. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    They were shipped about 400 miles, USPS 2 day for $6.56, in the double pistol case you see there. Got them into the incubator and discovered another cracked one. I'll ship the pistol case back with a present, like a nice flask of Maker's Mark, or something similar. Inexpensive cases run about $10-20.

8. darkfur

darkfur Chillin' With My Peeps

best. packaging. ever
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by