Quail eggs not internally pipping on day 18

TurkeyTheQuail

Songster
Jul 12, 2020
Greenville, SC
I have eleven coturnix quail eggs that are not internally pipping yet on day 18 (from what I can tell). Are they going to hatch? this is only my second time hatching quail and I really need help. The incubator is at 70% humidity and the temperature is at 99 degrees fahrenheit. The first time I did this I already had a chick hatch on the night of day 16 so it's worrying me that these eggs haven't even started to pip yet. I candled the eggs everyday and started to see blood vessels in the egg and some movement so they are fertile, but they have seemed to just stop developing a few days before hatching. If someone can help me it will be greatly appreciated!

When you candle does the egg still look full and dark? I've found that if they have died the embryo will sink towards the narrow end of the egg and they will develop a watery, yellow layer between the embryo and air cell.

Your incubator may be running a little cold perhaps which would delay them.

Most of the eggs still look full like they are full and some of them I can't tell if they are or not, so it may have just been a bit cool in the bator and delayed them like you said. How long could they delay for do you think?

Perhaps a few days delay. I'd leave them in until day 21 then if nothing is happening I'd carefully candle them again to try and see if anything has changed. :fl

I am very excited! I think the first egg just pipped, don't want to get my hopes up Just in case it's not though.
IMG_9376.JPG

On day 22 we got one out of the 12 we originally started with! At first I though she have splayed legs but she is walking perfectly fine thank goodness.. She didn't hatch out of the one that was pipping, I just took a look in the incubator yesterday and there was a tiny little chick the size of a bumblebee next to the egg.

Back
Top Bottom