Quail Eggs Rocking for 3 Days, but No Pips... Should I Be Worried?

ChelseySchlatter

Hatching
Apr 30, 2018
Well, it looks like it's time again for my annual "nervous breakdown" over hatching eggs when I run to BYC looking for answers... This year we're trying quail eggs. I have no idea what type of quail, as the store we purchased from did not tell me. They did say the eggs are expected to hatch on Day 18.

I have a Brinsea Maxi II. This is my first hatch with a Maxi II, but I have experienced 4 other successful hatches in a Brinsea Mini (3 chicken hatches and a duck hatch). The temp has been at 99.6 for the entire incubation period. On Day 15, I stopped turning the eggs and increased the humidity according to the Brinsea manual, like always. On Day 15, I noticed 2 of the eggs wiggling. The all throughout Day 16, more eggs were wiggling. This seemed like a very good sign! I thought wiggling meant we are very close to hatching.

But now on Day 18- NO pips. I've heard no cheeping from them either. Should I be worried? I'll put my phone beside the incubator and play "quail sounds" on YouTube and definitely notice they are still moving. In fact, a couple of them are no longer wiggling but rocking!

Does anyone have advice on how longs quail eggs can be moving in the incubator without pipping or hatching? I'm anxious that they've been moving for too long without being able to bust out of the shell. This is not just one or two of the eggs, but the whole dozen.

You would think this process gets easier year after year... It does not! Any info from experienced quail-hatchers out there would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance. :)

My hatches seem to be spread out over three days most of the time with some hatching on day 19 and 20 still. Not everyone has this problem but it can happen. Also quail pips can be tiny and hard to see.

Edit: I just saw this post is older. How did your hatch turn out?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom