quail eggs Vs chicken eggs

Discussion in 'Quail' started by ozzie, Jun 7, 2009.

1. ozzie

ozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2007
    I have ordered chicken eggs in the mail before and have successfully hatched some and I thought I would do quail as well. Anyway, I found that despite the packaging, out of the 40 that were sent, 3 were cracked when they arrived (the packaging wasn't squashed but I thought maybe it got bumped or something). Anyway, I popped the rest into the bator - and now at day 3 I noticed that another 1-2 look cracked - they didn't look it when I took them out of the packaging but they may have had minute hairline cracks that I couldn't see.

I guess my question is - have you found quail eggs to be thinner shelled than chicken eggs and therefore more likely to suffer cracks in transit or with rough handling?

I'm not sure how many will hatch from this batch because with all the speckling on the quail eggs, it's really hard to see the cracks.

ozzie

2. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    their eggs do seem a lot more delicate than chicken eggs. And because of how they are colored, I have to wait for a stinky to figure out what where and why......

My fumble fingers breaks more eggs than shipping or rough handling though [​IMG]

3. farrier!

farrier! Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    I have had 3 orders of quail and button quail. Just 2 were cracked.
    I cheat and make my 13 yr old unwrap them.... [​IMG]

4. citalk2much

citalk2much Twilight Blessings Farm

Dec 22, 2008
    GR MI: TN bound!
    I do find the shells a little thinner

5. ozzie

ozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2007
    Thank you - I'm so glad that they hatch faster than chicken eggs - so I'll know in 2 weeks if they hatch or not!

ozzie

6. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    The shells are easier to crack, but the membrane is very tough! You should candle them before setting them (any eggs for that matter). If the egg has small, hairline cracks, you can 'fix' them with wax.

7. kingmt

kingmt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Mason WV
    Try candling from the air cell side. This seems much easier to me.

8. babalubird

babalubird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2008
    Whole lot easier to break. I raise quail. Check your local craigslist or other such pubs. There's bound to be quail raisers around. They're everywhere. That way you can get them locally and not take those risks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by