Quail Eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mattsse, Nov 25, 2012.

1. mattsse

mattsse New Egg

Apr 5, 2010
    Recently someone gave me some quail, they are a few years old but other then that I know nothing about them. This is probably a silly question but wanted to ask it. I've never had birds I didn't raise myself, these little guys are laying eggs left and right. I've had them for probably two months now and they seem quite healthy.

My question is, do you think it's safe to eat their eggs considering I have no idea what kind of life they had before I had them and I have no idea if or when they were given medications?

Thanks!

2. Grateful Dad

Grateful Dad Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2012
    Massachusetts
    My Coop
  3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    That is an interesting question! I'd say unless you are allergic to any medications such as antibiotics go ahead and eat it. Or try and get more info from the previous owner? Most of the medicines I've used have a withdrawal period of 2 weeks if you want to wait it out. Don't incubate them unless you are 100% sure they are "clean" though. Medicine residue in eggs have disastrous effects on embryos.

1 person likes this.
  4. mattsse

mattsse New Egg

Apr 5, 2010
    Thanks all, I have no problem eating quail eggs, I was asking specifically about these eggs - meaning I don't know the birds history. Interesting info on the 2 week withdraw.

Thanks,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by