1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Quail Feed Waste

Discussion in 'Quail' started by SportTees, Aug 29, 2008.

1. SportTees

SportTees Chillin' With My Peeps

I have noticed my quail ( especially coturnix ) waste more food than they eat. most of there food just fall thru the cage to the ground! I've tryed different types of feeders but still end up with the waste. Any ideas?

2. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    We use the 3 pound size hanging feeders and waste is very little

Steve in NC

3. AK-Bird-brain

AK-Bird-brain I gots Duckies!

May 7, 2007
    Sterling, Alaska
    We use the round feeders made for chicks that they have to stick their heads into. Anything they can get into and scratch around in they will.

4. SportTees

SportTees Chillin' With My Peeps

I have tried the gamebird feeder-that says it doesn't waste food like others, round feeders you put the jar on, and the reel feeders- still there is more food on the ground than they eat.

5. CountryMom

CountryMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    South Texas
    I have been thinking of putting a long skinny trough on the outside of the cage. That way they would have to stick their heads throught the wire to eat. And they couldn't stick their feet through to scratch.

6. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    My idea on them for that is a very small feeding cup one they can't fit in, but can put their head in to to eat from. They sure to love to scratch that's deffinatly for sure! It's cute but not when you're seeing feed go down the drain so to speak.

Least that's whati plan to do when they're outon the wire. [​IMG] Already saving up small plastic cups...i don't mind having to go up to feed atleast twice a day to make up for the small cups anything to avoid wasting so much. I have a little over 30 birds...and they've almos completley gone through a 20lb bag and they're only almost 3 weeks old lol. However, that's mostly impart to the fact taht i clean out their brooders once a day, so i end up scooping out feed they kicked everywhere (that they would otherwise eat up had i not cleaned it out).

7. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

they make long-ish (about a foot) feeders for chicks that are aluminum, with small holes for them to stick their beak in,, and is covered,, they would have to tip it over to spill the food out.,,, maybe i can find an old one of mine and take a pic for ya.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by