Quail Feed

phi3

In the Brooder
Sep 12, 2015
Hi Guys, I'm about to invest in some Japanese Quails, However, It has been very difficult to find feed that has 25%+ protein that is recommended for quail.

It is extremely difficult to get the feed required from where I live, however, I have found some feed enhancer that I am able to add to poultry feed.
'
I buy my feed from http://www.mirofeeds.co.nz/shoponline/Poultry-Aviary-Feed and normally get "Chook Chow" for my Pullets and Hens.

I am wondering from which of the feeds available on that website is suitable for quail (+ the feed enhancer)

Thanks.

Personally I think the chick starter crumble would be the best cause of the high protein. You could hard-boil eggs and add them (mashed up) to the feed. Plus have a bowl of crushed oyster shell available for the females.

Is there any place that sells turkey or gamebird starter around you? That would probably be the ideal feed.

Hi there, Thanks for the reply.

I just found game bird feed (http://www.chookmanor.co.nz/food), I'm not sure what the protein % is, But I can always contact them, I think it does look suitable though. Only downside is that I'll incur a large shipping fee since they're located in the south island.

So it seems ideal to purchase the chick start crumble and feed enhancer since it's the more affordable option.

Your welcome
smile.png

There is also a blog called "the holistic hen" and they make their own quail feed, might be some useful info there. They sprout grains for their quail (which increases the nutritional content I believe).

I use chick starter! Everyone suggested the gamebird feed but the price is crazy, and one day at the feed store I decided to put the chick starter bag and gamebird bag next to each other and compare ingredients/analysis...pretty much the same thing!

Check to see if you have a local milling company, it might be worth the drive. for me it's 30 min drive to the mill and at less then 1/2 the price of the Co-Op or TSC it's well worth the drive:

Gamebird Grower 24% is $10.90 for 50# bag
Gamebird Breeder 24% is $10.60 for 50# bag
28% Super Biddy is $11.65 for 50# bag

Sure it is. For the first couple months. You cannot however consume any meat or eggs from a bird on medicated feed. There is also some evidence that feeding roosters medicated feed for long periods can lead to sterilty. If youll re read what i posted, i said complete diet, meaning it can be fed from birth to death, you cannot do that with medicated feeds safely.

Dont assume by a single sentence that, my entire opinion on medicated feed was contained within.

Sure it is. For the first couple months. You cannot however consume any meat or eggs from a bird on medicated feed.

Maybe if you'll reread what i posted you'll see i said Bacitracin Methylene. so can you please provide where you got your information on withholding and sterility associated with it?

Back
Top Bottom