Quail Feed

We're comparing apples and oranges. Bactracen can be consumed if you choose , turkey starters dont however contain it at all which is why i said to avoid medicated turkey starters as a complete diet. Consequently that's exactly what the side of the bag says too...feed for up to 35 days...I havent looked at too many medicated feed bags in a while but most antibiotic inclusive feeds say specifically not to eat the animal for 10-14 days after use has stopped.

Cant find the research on sterilty. The instances were extremely low but it was enough to add up when you have a large flock.

Turkey starter when medicated almost always contains coccidistats which is why the manufacturers typically recommend a short term feeding period. Im sure you can custom order whatever you want but the lions share of people dont have access to a mill, only a feed store.

............. turkey starters dont however contain it at all

Turkey starter when medicated almost always contains coccidistats which is why the manufacturers typically recommend a short term feeding period. Im sure you can custom order whatever you want but the lions share of people dont have access to a mill, only a feed store.

if you will check you'd be surprised how many places DO have access to buy direct from a mill, when i was at NAS Lemoore, there were several and that's right in your backyard.

Edited by Staff

Last edited by a moderator:
Almost all turkey starters are acceptable as a complete diet for quail. Just make sure its not medicated.

Sure it is. For the first couple months. You cannot however consume any meat or eggs from a bird on medicated feed. There is also some evidence that feeding roosters medicated feed for long periods can lead to sterilty. If youll re read what i posted, i said complete diet, meaning it can be fed from birth to death, you cannot do that with medicated feeds safely.

Dont assume by a single sentence that, my entire opinion on medicated feed was contained within.

I couldn't find any stockists for unmedicated turkey starter or game starter at this time of the year in the UK so i had to go with medicated (Avatec) 25% turkey starter crumbs. I've been feeding it to jumbo coturnix chicks (and adults) and they seem to be doing well plus i haven't seen any negative effects on sterility (yet).

Given the choice however, I'd definitely go for unmedicated feed. I've found a miller that makes 28% non medicated feed for a decent price but they just don't stock it at this time of the year, when my current feed runs out i may just have to buy a few bags and store some for the season/seasons that they don't stock it, hopefully it won't go bad.

Last edited:
When there are no other unmedicated options 22% chick starter for chickens is probably the next best thing. Just try to find something that has less than 1.5% infused calcium.

When there are no other unmedicated options 22% chick starter for chickens is probably the next best thing. Just try to find something that has less than 1.5% infused calcium.

The highest protein chick starter i came across was 19%, i was originally planning on buying some 22% unmedicated turkey starter however and mixing in some fishmeal but that wasn't in stock either.

Back
Top Bottom