Quail female aggression

The issue may be that if she was the "alpha" of the group then one of the others would want to step up and replace her. Did you keep her close/next to them when you separated her?

Unfortunately always seems to be the case, this issue caused me a few problems last year and meant I couldn't mix a lot of the females I wanted to and had to create more spaces for them all!

Do your quail have things to do? Like dust baths, things to hide in or behind? It can really help!
I didn't keep her close enough to see them, no. It didn't occur to me it might not be a good idea to remove her entirely from the area.

Given our limited space, unfortunately they're going to have to learn to live together quietly or the troublemakers will join us at the dinner table. Like I said, I've got girls to choose from! Luckily though, most of the squabbling seems to have settled down. I will keep your advice in mind if they start it up again though. Thanks for the help!!

They had a dust bath and a bucket turned over as a line of sight break, which we replaced this weekend with two potted plastic plants. The fake plants have drooping foliage that creates a kind of tunnel to give them two separate hiding spaces. That seems to have helped!

I didn't keep her close enough to see them, no. It didn't occur to me it might not be a good idea to remove her entirely from the area.

Given our limited space, unfortunately they're going to have to learn to live together quietly or the troublemakers will join us at the dinner table. Like I said, I've got girls to choose from! Luckily though, most of the squabbling seems to have settled down. I will keep your advice in mind if they start it up again though. Thanks for the help!!

They had a dust bath and a bucket turned over as a line of sight break, which we replaced this weekend with two potted plastic plants. The fake plants have drooping foliage that creates a kind of tunnel to give them two separate hiding spaces. That seems to have helped!
You live and you learn, nothing beats learning from experience! We're very space-restricted too so trust me I understand your pain lol! It is the cutest thing how excited they get from dustbaths and how happy it makes them after! The hiding spots are definitely a great idea too, though I did no know that before and personally still do not have any.

I'm currently struggling with an aggressive bird in one of my cages but haven't witnessed any behaviours yet to know who, greatly hope it isn't the male because I can't replace him if I eat him! 🤣

I was about to start a new thread. The similar thread feature of this site works really good.

Oddly enough, I noticed one of my ~3 month old hens being aggressive to her siblings, of which the are only three. It was bad enough, that I just grabbed her, tossed her in an open pen, and marched directly back to my 'puter, so I could ask for opinions.

Seems I followed some advice before even reading it. Haha.

I'll walk back out there to set food and water up for her. Maybe tomorrow, I'll try sticking her back in with her crowd. If she still misbehaves, she'll just have to live separately for the next couple of weeks. After that, I have a group of 12 that'll need that spot. I'll decide then if there's somewhere else she can hang, or if she gets culled along with any extra roos from the new dozen.

Back
Top Bottom