Quail flooring

I use dirt floors inside my basement and fixed my dust problem with keeping the soil moist enough. I've got a tarp under the soil so I'm pretty safe to keep it wet enough. It's like the dampness level of a wrung out sponge. It takes more water than I expected. The first month was a dust nightmare until I figured out the right levels.

I use water dishes because they like it much better than nipples. I've got large rocks in there and the water is on top of that. I use apple cider vinegar in every other jar because even elevated they still get dirt in it from cleaning their beaks. I swish and dump the water a bit into the soil twice a day then give them a fresh jar and full cleaning probably every other or every third day (mine drink a lot less water because I ferment the food).

A bit of dirt isn't going to hurt them so long as they don't poop it in!

I also use a sand shower box to cut down on dust. Three sides with the front open and cedar cuttings hanging in front to keep the sand dust down.

Attachments

• A5A39D75-9444-4390-8DFE-43468F4F919C.jpeg
    A5A39D75-9444-4390-8DFE-43468F4F919C.jpeg
    621.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 45DC0ED3-53D8-460F-BC4D-08BED25F586C.jpeg
    45DC0ED3-53D8-460F-BC4D-08BED25F586C.jpeg
    692.5 KB · Views: 15
@Quail 66 Sweet potatoes are awesome though. Although they look like potatoes, they are from the morning glory family of plants and you can even eat the leaves. Those, I don't mind digging up and seeing regrow. (As you can see, I'm better at plants than I am at quail.)
The only plant I recognise is basil which is sad because my grandmother had "the hand" as we say here and people would call her to plant something for them so they would be sure it will grow. Are sweet potatoes safe for quails? I might give it a try. As for the topic, I recently switched to rabbit hay because it reduces the smell I think. And it works a bit like blanket when it gets cold. The weather here is insane lately. From summer to freazing temperatures.

I was having the same problem with the pine chips getting into the floor waterers and coming home to empty water containers.

Once I found out that it was okay for my chicks to drink from a larger “bowl,” I installed the Rent-A-Coop poultry drinking cups in the brooders (I had them for their outdoor coops). I then tapped on the bowl a few times until a couple chicks showed interest and that’s all it took for them to transition.

Its magical to not have to stress about it now.

Little Giant also makes drinking cups that you can attach to a container of your choice. Tractor Supply carries them.

B0B0BFC7-CCE8-412E-84AB-333A31E4ECE8.jpeg
Rent-A-Coop
D9F43856-99E4-4044-8B8F-9B7BF03D4C66.jpeg
Little Giant

I just started raising quail from hatch, but I use coconut pads in the bottom of the brooder. They can be taken out and washed as needed. There is nothing to kick around to get in the waterer. Spilled food sits on top of it too. Second batch on it now, no issues seen. I plan on buying more to put in their "grown up cages" once they graduate to have some space off the wire.

I just started raising quail from hatch, but I use coconut pads in the bottom of the brooder. They can be taken out and washed as needed. There is nothing to kick around to get in the waterer. Spilled food sits on top of it too. Second batch on it now, no issues seen. I plan on buying more to put in their "grown up cages" once they graduate to have some space off the wire.
That's very interesting. Can you please put a photo of the package when you have the time, so I can be sure I understood right what the product looks like? What is its original usage? How often do you wash it? Good luck with your new fluffy friends 🙂.

I was going to ask for photos as well! The poop would accumulate fast. How often do you need to clean it?

Back
Top Bottom