Quail genetics

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Henk69, May 2, 2009.

1. Henk69

Henk69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Groesbeek Netherlands
    Hi,

Anyone here knowing about quail genetics? Bobwhite, coturnix?

2. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    This is the text from Monarc23's Coturnix Quail education time- warning dialupers pictures galore

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=102281
    Breeding Genetics
    There is dominant and recessive colors in genetics. Dominant means that it WILL be the visual color you see. Recessive means that it needs TWO birds with the same color to produce it where as dominant only needs one bird of this color for the color to show up. For example...Golden is a dominant color, you can breed a golden to a normal brown, and produce a golden...because it's dominant. Heres a list of what I have learned is recessive and dominant. Incomplete dominant means mainly that it will cover only certain places of the bird, and that not every chick born will be that specific color (from what I have learned).

Black- Dominant
    Cinnamon- Recessive
    Extended Brown- Incomplete dominant over normal colored (i dont know much about this one).
    White (A & M/English)- Recessive
    Red Head- Recessive
    Silver- Incomplete Dominant
    Tuxedo- Recessive
    Golden- Dominant
    Range (british range- tibetan) Dominant

As I learn how to produce certain colors I will happily post the findings.

Golden is said to be fatal if breeding Golden to a Golden. Said to loose 25% of hatch, where as others have had 100% hatches out of breeding Golden to Golden. If you want to be on the safe side just breed your Golden to a brown and you'll get mostly Goldens. If not, possibly expect some eggs not to hatch.

How to produce a Tuxedo- cross an A & M (i was told a nicer cross is with english) with a British Range.
    If a brown carries the A & M or white gene, and is crossed with a tibetan (or tuxedo) some of the resulting offspring WILL be tuxedo marked! <---prooven this with my own breedings.

A Golden bred to any white looks to produce a bird that's mostly white with golden feathers, very pretty! *I have one, I think it's a male but I am unsure as it's got so much white on it lol*

Breeding a PURE White (no spots) *either a & m or english white* to another pure white (no spots) will produce 25-50% pure whites, others will more than likely have spots (wild colored spots on back of head neck and possibly back).

THIS information right here isn't prooven, however it SEEMs that breeding a Tibetan (british range) to a Tibtan (british range) can produce a much darker bird (almost black looking- with some red tinting). I have a few such birds I aquired from a breeder and am planning to pair these birds up to see if it can produce an even DARKER bird.​

3. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Thanks Ticks! [​IMG]

just to add theres more to coturnix genetics than just that, however that's info I know off of other breeders and charts, theres also a cool sex-link gene about every animal and human species I never knew about until yesterday t hanks to deerman [​IMG] and theres other genetic mutations im looking into as of now [​IMG]

4. Henk69

Henk69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Groesbeek Netherlands
    OK, here it comes...

Is tenebrosus the same as "black" mutation?

[​IMG]

What do you get when you cross goldens to silvers?

Are there any good genetics websites about coturnix or bobwhite?
    The ones google missed.

Thanks.. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 2, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by