quail growing up questions (mainly abt food)

we are going to have 6 and i already bought the adult food so i don't know. i was worried excess protein will cause kidney failiure?
I wouldn’t say it will cause issues but rather it may cause issues.

I look at my birds diet similar to how I manage my own. If they eat mostly healthy foods and have an active lifestyle then I’m not overly worried about it. However I recently increased my flock size significantly and the cost is starting to make me reevaluate such things.

does their protein not much matter as adults?
It matters more for younger birds and just not as much for adult birds as the added amino acids in layer crumble. Think of it this way, Protein is for growth, feather, bone, muscle.. young to mature birds then once mature it’s about health maintenance and egg laying, essential amino acids, minerals and calcium..

It matters more for younger birds and just not as much for adult birds as the added amino acids in layer crumble. Think of it this way, Protein is for growth, feather, bone, muscle.. young to mature birds then once mature it’s about health maintenance and egg laying, essential amino acids, minerals and calcium..
I can understand your approach, as they need the high protein for growth and not essentially..living? That's probably why wild birds eat many bugs as young then transition to grains as they grow older. Although during the molt would it be beneficial to provide higher protein to encourage better health and feather development, such as bugs or other protein rich foods?

If protein doesn't matter to much and more amino acids, minerals, vitamins, then i might reconsider what i buy? I found a food, but it's only 9% protein and 4% fat. that sounds low but it contains nutrients such as magnesium, vitamin E, lysine, methionine, tryptophan, B vitamins (B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B9, B12), vitamin K, phosphorus, potassium, calcium, iron, zinc, manganese, copper, and selenium. If it sounds like a good mix, I'll just find another way to supplement the protein. such as bugs or bsfl, or mealworms.

Layer feeds are 15-16%.. Starter feeds are 22-30%.. there’s a reason for that.. it’s just they way it is.. layer feeds are low (IMO) in calcium, so I add a little (very little 2 tablespoons) mega egg builder supplement to the feed when I fill my hen feeders.. I don’t give treats.. just gamebird ration feed and water..

If protein doesn't matter to much and more amino acids, minerals, vitamins, then i might reconsider what i buy? I found a food, but it's only 9% protein and 4% fat. that sounds low but it contains nutrients such as magnesium, vitamin E, lysine, methionine, tryptophan, B vitamins (B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B9, B12), vitamin K, phosphorus, potassium, calcium, iron, zinc, manganese, copper, and selenium. If it sounds like a good mix, I'll just find another way to supplement the protein. such as bugs or bsfl, or mealworms.
Protein matters, but they can survive on a lot less than they can as chicks. 9% protein is too low even for adults, though. Chicken layer feeds are around 16% protein, which will keep them alive, but if you want to breed them and want healthy chicks, you want something closer to 22% protein.

Protein matters, but they can survive on a lot less than they can as chicks. 9% protein is too low even for adults, though. Chicken layer feeds are around 16% protein, which will keep them alive, but if you want to breed them and want healthy chicks, you want something closer to 22% protein.
I've notice when I have been in TSC that they no longer carry 24% protein feed, very little of 20% but lots of 16 to 18% protein feeds.Seems to be a national trend, I've talked with other breeders around the country, and they express the same observations. Since I have my feed custom milled, it's not really a problem for me but if I had to depend on a feed store carrying 24% protein feed, I'd be out of luck!

I feed and have fed 24% protein feed to my birds from hatch till death for more years than i care to remember, it's a happy medium between low protein and a high protein feed.
And my birds do very well on it!

Back
Top Bottom