Quail Hatching! Information Please

mmizell

Songster
11 Years
Sep 14, 2008
Greenwood, Arkansas
My first hatch ever! My quail are hatching in my Genesis bator.. now what do I do? I don't want them to get to hot or hungry or thirsty. Do I leave the red plug in? How long can they be left in the bator?
Thanks for any advice.
Melinda

leave in until fluffy (is my rule) and leave them in until you think all the eggs that are hatching are done hatching. Some eggs may have "quitters" in them in which case it's your decision when to pull the chicks and see if hthe egg is still viable or not (you may be able to hear the chick moving around in the egg peeping or picking at the shell).

They can go something like 24 hours without water and food.

I put them in the brooder once fluffy, and show them food and water immediatly.

If the temp and humidity are fine no need to remove the plug. IF humidity is too high (80% or more) then sure remove the plug but watch the temp.

congrats on hatching chicks today! I got 21 coturnix quail today hatched
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Thanks for the information. If they hatched today, how much time would you give them? And the hatched ones can stay in the bator until when?
Congrats on your hatch!

Quote:
honestly it depends on your humidity, some chicks take hours to turn fluffy others within just minutes.
smile.png
Hatched fluffy ones can stay in the incubator for 24 hours without food and water.

Congrats on your hatch. Like Monarc, I don't remove the plug unless I have a humidity spike. I let them stay in the incubator as long as possible after they hatch. I have left them up to 12 hrs. My highest post hatch mortality rate comes from piling in the brooder. From my own trial and error I've learned the longer they are allowed to stay in the incubator the stronger they become. My last hatch of 81 was moved to the brooder in two groups, 9 hours apart. They are 9 days old now and I have not lost a single chick.

Brad

I now have "4" babies. I am really excited.. Ideas or pics of a brooder? Do I need to make the gamebird/turkey starter smaller is size? It is 28% medicated crumbles, is that what I need.
I really appreciate all of the wonderful advice.

Quote:
I feed 28% unmedicated turkey starter (only 28% feed available in my area), but I wouldn't hesitate to feed them the medicated. When I first started hatching, I would run it through a mini food processor. This resulted in a lot of waste as they would kick it and scratch in it and just make a mess with it. Now I wet it and mash it. Don't over wet it; I fill up a plastic drink cup about 2/3s of the way and put enough water in the cup to just be able to see it even with the food. I let it sit for a few minutes then use a fork to stir/mash it in the cup. It has the texture of damp brown sugar when I'm done.

Hope this helps,
Brad

Quote:
i second this, they say not to feed medicated for a reason so i heed that warning
wink.png

What's the reason?

The only reason not to feed medicated feed to quail I can find stated anywhere is that the antibiotic may pass to the egg or in the meat, but it will be out of their system in 10 days.

Brad

Back
Top Bottom