Quail hatchling still curled in "egg" position. Could vitamins help????

pdx2phx

Chased by Chickens
11 Years
Apr 12, 2010
SE Coastal GA
We had a quail chick hatch unassisted over night that curls itself back into the fetal egg position. It is dry but won't flatten out/stand, and moves itself back into this curled position. It opens it's eyes and peeps, then wiggles until it is curled up again.

We're pretty new to quail but I haven't seen this before in chickens or ducks, etc. Any ideas? Could it be a vitamin deficiency? I have no-iron poly-vi-sol I could try, but this is a teeny tiny brown quail chick so I'm not sure what dosage or if I should try this.

Anyone have any ideas? A search of the posts in this forum just came up with 1 instance of this and the only solution (that I could find) to cull the chick.

Last edited:
We had a quail chick hatch unassisted over night that curls itself back into the fetal egg position.  It is dry but won't flatten out/stand, and moves itself back into this curled position.  It opens it's eyes and peeps, then wiggles until it is curled up again.

We're pretty new to quail but I haven't seen this before in chickens or ducks, etc.  Any ideas?  Could it be a vitamin deficiency?  I have no-iron poly-vi-sol I could try, but this is a teeny tiny brown quail chick so I'm not sure what dosage or if I should try this.  

Anyone have any ideas?  A search of the posts in this forum just came up with 1 instance of this and the only solution (that I could find) to cull the chick.

I had the same thing happen with my quail chick. He had to be culled for quality of life. But as long as he is enjoying life, I'd let him live. Good luck!

Regards,
Leaf

Last edited:
It is fighting so hard to uncurl and is very active, but distressed and peeping. I've tried the poly-vi-sol and am holding it upright hoping that maybe either vitamins will help, or that if it's a pinched nerve that might subside.

I don't know what to do at this point. It hatched on it's own and is really a little fighter. Seems such a shame if it doesn't get better and we have to cull it
hit.gif

It is fighting so hard to uncurl and is very active, but distressed and peeping.  I've tried the poly-vi-sol and am holding it upright hoping that maybe either vitamins will help, or that if it's a pinched nerve that might subside.

I don't know what to do at this point.  It hatched on it's own and is really a little fighter.  Seems such a shame if it doesn't get better and we have to cull it :hit  

About the only thing you can do is either take it to the vet or cull it I suppose.... I'm sorry, but you don't want it to suffer. :(

Regards,
Leaf

Back
Top Bottom