Quail health regarding feather loss

AngryQuailFarms

Hatching
7 Years
Nov 16, 2012
Mid Missouri
One of my oldest quail, ~16 weeks has been attacked by it's pen mates, and seems to have a bloodied eye, also they seem to be ripping each others head feathers out. What do we do in this situation? We are going to separate them I guess, but should it be permanent? Can I treat the affected quail with something? What could be causing this?

Head feathers missing could be due to mating, but if you mean it literally with them ripping it out, then I'd separate them immediately.
What are their genders? This could be the cause of the fighting and abuse.
Is there blood anywhere else besides the eyes?
How serious is the bloodied eye?

I'd probably isolate the most injured quail, put her in a separate cage and give her a heat source. Make sure she drinks plenty of water and eats lots of food with high proteins for feather growth. Give her a friend so she isn't lonely.

If there is one culprit that is causing the problem, and still continuing to do so after separation, you might need to cull.

Are these coturnix quail? They need to be separated with one male to 6 females. Too many males in one cage will cause fighting. And sometimes even females don't like each other.

Separate out this one that got bullied. You can use blu-cote on the wound or if you don't have any of that, you can use Neosporin on the wound. Keep this bird in plain sight of the others so they are not "new" quail when you re-introduce this bird. Make sure the wound is relatively healed before re-introduction. If the fighting continues, then you will need to permanently separate this bird and find others that will get along with him, or remove the bully completely.

Last edited:
These are in fact Coturnix quail, after a a few days of separation we put the quail back and all seems well, however I am worried about our ratio regarding male to female, still working in identifying what sex some of these birds are. Also I'm not familiar with blu-cote, but was prepared to use neosporin if the wound had been worse, turns out it was mostly superficial. Thanks to all who chimed on this matter.

HI,
They can also start pecking each other due to stress, over space, territory, egg laying even.
Also, always remove the bully bird, not the weak one (unless it's so damaged it needs time out).

Back
Top Bottom