Quail help please?

Justaheifer

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 4, 2009
I threw(set gently)some quail egg in the bator on 7/11!
I believe they are Pharoh? Tuxedo?

When should I stop turning them?
When should I expect them to hatch?
(Why did I agree to hatch quail eggs when I know nothing about them?)

I have some non medicated crumbles, I understand I need to smush it to dust!
I understand I need to be sure they don't drown in the waterer!
If there is anything else I need to know, please tell me!

Thank you!

7-11 would be day 1, day 18 is 7-28, day 15 is 7-25, so stop turning on 7-25 (Saturday).
The feed doesn't have to be dust, just make sure they can eat it. If they are coturnix you might not have to do anything with the feed. I moisten mine, and keep it in the fridge. This cuts down on waste as well, cause the more they try to scratch it, the more they pack it down.

-Marbles in the waterer, you know that.

-Brooder temp around 98* for the first few days, then lower it 3-5 degrees every 3-4 days. By 2-3 weeks old they can go outside, with no heat (unless it's very cold where you are).

-Temp during hatch at 99*, they seem to hatch easier if it's a bit lower.

-Humidity at least 65% after day 15.

-Put paper towels on top of the shavings for the first day or two, so they know what they are supposed to eat.
They don't normally have any trouble finding the food and water, but sometimes they do. Water is usually not an issue, but they get confused with food sometimes.

-If you want, you can show a couple of them where the water is, they'll show everyone else
smile.png

That's about it, they are pretty easy!

Last edited:
Thank you shelleyd2008!

I've hatched ducks, guineas, chickens, geese, pheasants and peacocks! This quail thing is a new one for me!

I moisten down the food for my guineas, I will do that for the quail too!
I also add boiled egg yolk for the guineas, can I do that for the quails? I am not sure of the protien content on the crumbles I have.

It surely won't hurt them. Many people recommend doing so. I don't do it, but that's my preference. I have mine on 20% feed and they do just fine. There are some people that say they should have 28%+, but I have no problems with mine on the lower percentage.

My quail feed is about the texture of cornmeal and wheat flour. I've some hatching soon, set them on the 11th as well

Hi,

If your eggs were put in on July 11th,(Saturday) then day 15 will be July 26th(Sunday), Day 18 will be July 29th.(Wednesday).

You may find they start hatching on day 17 (Tuesday).

Ironsun.

Wanted to pop in here and thank you all for your wisdom!

I have 10 babies in the brooder and 4 more in the bator!(at least it was 4, about 5 minutes ago?)
I believe there were 19 eggs, so I guess I didn't do too bad?

Everybody seems to be doing OK!
They have moist food, dry smushed food and everything inbetween!
I made them a waterer, so far it looks like it is actually working!

I did read some where that they can jump pretty high of spooked?
How high can they jump? I'm leaving town this weekend, and I am not sure if I should set something else up or if they will be OK til I get back?

They won't jump too much till they are a week old or older, so they should be fine. Coturnix don't really start flying out of their brooders a whole lot until they are like 2-3 weeks.

Quote:
Oh cool!
Thank you shelleyd2008!

I'm still not sure who will be caring for the critters while I am gone. If it's the neighbor boy, the babies will have to moved outside where escapees would not stand a chance. If my boy takes care of them, they can stay in the house, but he gets a little crabby when "just feed and water" includes "Oh and if they get out!"

Back
Top Bottom