Quail hen aggressive behaviour

Quailophilic

Songster
Jun 27, 2020
Pakistan
This is my quail hen. IMG20200718130313_05.jpg She's showing aggressive behavious for last 2 days, as you can see she is attacking the male IMG20200718130206_08.jpg IMG20200718130206_06.jpg .(I couldn't upload a video, its showing some kind of error) I don't want to cull her because she's got good genes for her size and is a good layer(actually efficient layer) IMG20200718130310.jpg . She hides somewhere, ready to attack, and when the white hen or the male comes near, she pounces on them. And also the male is attacking the white hen IMG20200718130341_01.jpg (I couldn't make a video). They are free to roam around, then why they are showing such a behaviour.? I am worried about white hen, i only have one IMG20200627104320.jpg . The aggressive hen is also showing a different behaviour like she is worried about something and is being protective of herself. she doesn't let the male mate with her and attacks him with puffed up neck feathers. She is also not broody, because she has no interest in the eggs I've placed in the nest. She is not hiding in a specific place which means she is definitely not broody. Please can anyone help me with this behaviour of my hen.

There is a bald sopt on my white hen and this spot is becoming bigger. There is also a scratch on the head, this is due to my hens fighting IMG20200718135142.jpg

Update:
I have just found that the right foot of the italian hen is swollen(and a little bit of blue). Can this be the reason for her to be aggressive and overly protective of herself.? IMG20200718135337.jpg

She is probably in pain right now. I don't know what her illness is but I would separate her. My hen started attacking her mate today, she is very sick and has to see the vet on Monday. She doesn't want to be with him right now, so he is chilling with some juveniles while she gets some rest.

She is probably in pain right now. I don't know what her illness is but I would separate her. My hen started attacking her mate today, she is very sick and has to see the vet on Monday. She doesn't want to be with him right now, so he is chilling with some juveniles while she gets some rest.
Okay, I understand that she is in pain so she is being aggressive. But I don't understand why the male is attacking the white hen.

The foot looks like she's got bumblefoot. Many many articles on how to treat it on the forums. Long story short, if you cannot take her to a vet to have that tended to, then glove up (it's likely septic which is contageous to humans), buddy up (four hands are better than two), and open up that big bulbous pus pocket with a scalpel (razor) and gently yet firmly squeeze the thick, cheesy pus out of there in the same manner that you'd deal with a cyst or blackhead; forcing the mass inside to exit though the hole that you created with your scalpel. For chickens or ducks a good long soak in warm epsom salt water is recommended to soften the skin and often avoid the scalpel altogether, but for quail she'd likely have heart failure before a sufficient soak was completed. Work quickly and with confidence to reduce your hens stress and clear that infection. Once you're sure you've cleared the lump of pus out of the pocket in her foot, give it a final rinse with salt water (saline solution), and a dip in corn starch to stop the bleeding, and release her back into her pen. Ideally, this should take under ten minutes.

Okay, I understand that she is in pain so she is being aggressive. But I don't understand why the male is attacking the white hen.

Could also be stress, he is letting his anger out on your white hen because the other one is refusing to mate with him. I've made the experience that it is like a chain reaction, one foul apple infects the rest of the flock and soon there is mayhem until the aggressor or the source of aggression is gone. But that is just me guessing. I don't know anything about bumblefoot, sorry.

Back
Top Bottom