Quail Hen Not Standing

By culling, you cut off their heads with a pair of scissors, correct? Any other methods people use?
Yes.
Scissors is a pretty sure bet. Some people just grab the heads and shake hard but I've always been too weak to try that one :sick

I thought @Nabiki (hope that was you) actually wrote an article on processing that involved the killing part in good detail.
I did.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/how-to-process-your-quail-including-gory-pictures.75834/

Thanks everyone :) I tried my best and she lived an okay life with me. I just wish she would have lived long enough to see the new enclosure I'm planning to build. Ah well. I guess some things were not meant to be.

Thanks everyone :) I tried my best and she lived an okay life with me. I just wish she would have lived long enough to see the new enclosure I'm planning to build. Ah well. I guess some things were not meant to be.
Sorry for your loss. I appreciate the care and respect you give to your birds. RIP Lock you were a good birb.

I had one of my quail very abruptly get sick and die, with symptoms like yours, but her problems seemed more neurological. It's very upsetting when they get sick and the reason why is unknown.

And a quick tip for culling - a smart smack to the back of the head with something like the handle of a screw driver will instantly incapacitate them before removing the head. I found it made me feel more confident removing the head knowing they were out of it. Whatever you do, always do with confidence.

Sorry for your loss. I appreciate the care and respect you give to your birds. RIP Lock you were a good birb.

I had one of my quail very abruptly get sick and die, with symptoms like yours, but her problems seemed more neurological. It's very upsetting when they get sick and the reason why is unknown.

And a quick tip for culling - a smart smack to the back of the head with something like the handle of a screw driver will instantly incapacitate them before removing the head. I found it made me feel more confident removing the head knowing they were out of it. Whatever you do, always do with confidence.
Thank you :) Lock will be missed. Yeah. Losing a beloved flock member sucks on so many levels :(

And cool, re: the smack behind the head before culling! That will help me so much! Thank you yet again!

Back
Top Bottom