Quail housing help

DMB13

Chirping
6 Years
Aug 12, 2013
I have had a good look through the forum and elsewhere online but still need help deciding how to house the quail I want to get.

Does anyone have a preference or particular reason for housing their quail the way they do? What should I consider when deciding how to house them and what would be cost effective?

Any pics for inspiration would also be great! :)

Cheers
Dennis

What kind of quail is it? I have coturnix quail and I just picked up a rabbit cage for her. She's perfectly fine in it. But if you have a larger breed, I'd that assume a regular chicken coop would work.

I want to get 3 coturnix quail. I wasn't sure if there would be enough room or if I should go with a chicken coop set up.

Does the hutch work fine with cleaning? I did see somewhere about using a wire flooring for droppings.

Mine has wire flooring and that works fine.
I have Flemish Giant rabbits so my hutches are rather large. My plan was to put about fifteen quail in, but I decided to start with one. It a LOT less expensive to build my own hutches. They are about 3 x 4 feet and 2 feet from floor to roof. It cost me about $60 to build them. I believe it's like $120 to buy one's that big. I'll post pictures later if you want.

Sounds good! Please feel free to post pics when you can am looking for all the inspiration I can get :)

This is one of my hutches that I built. I originally had the quail in here, but currently it's the home of a rabbit.
It's about 3x4 feet which is PLENTY of room for coturnix quail. If you're only getting 3, then a smaller size would do, like 2x3 feet should be enough room. (It'd be cheeper too). For a cubby nest, a cardboard box would do. Just punch a small whole in it. (The one in the pic is chewed up by the rabbit)

For a door, I just put a piece of plywood on the side with hinges on the bottom, and loosely screwed in pieces of wood at the top to latch it shut. I have a door on either side of all my cages for easy access.

I have other hutches, but this one was the most simple and least expensive to make.

Thank you for uploading the pictures! :)

They look brilliant and have a better idea about the design now. Still deciding whether I want a raised hutch or a ground based hutch.

May even consider making my own if I feel brave!

I got my first 14 quail in early summer with NO idea how to house them. On the way home, we stopped in at a Goodwill Store and I found a treasure trove. Someone had rid themselves of the 14" panels from storage cubes & I was able to fabricate some really nice cages that are 28" square and 14" deep. I keep a cock and 5 or 6 hens in these and there is plenty of room for feeders & sand bowls. When I can figure out how to post pix, will do so if anyone is interested. I use plastic zip ties and I can fabricate a cage in a little over an hour at a cost of about $18 per cage. I make them so the doors are on the top so no birds can escape while servicing the cage.

Back
Top Bottom