Quail housing?

chickenlips1954

Songster
11 Years
Jul 16, 2008
I rescued a newly hatched wild quail chick two weeks ago and have since bought two other quail chicks to keep it company. Right now I have them housed in a large rubbermaid container with food, water and heat, but what do I use for permanent housing? I have full size chickens and bantys, so I know how to care for and house those girls and boys, but not sure what to do with quail. Any help or suggestions would sure be appreciated! I live in Northern Idaho, so we get snowy winters and hot summers.

welcome-byc.gif

I am also needing ideas for quail cages.
I am thinking about building the roll out type.
Good luck with the little critters.
I look forward to seeing others answers.

First off are you sure the chicks are all the same speicies of quail? Quail dont usually get along if different speicies are kept together. Some people have acomplished this however but by keeping their birds in large...planted aviaries.
Here is a pic of my quail house...
smile.png

PoultryPics014.jpg

Most people use rabbit hutches with the hardwire cloth bottom. Works quite well. Just keep an eye out for rabbit hutches on your local Craigslist or use the search feature on BYC to look at other people's designs. We had a thread or two on it, not too long ago, with pictures and everything.

-Kim

Thank you for your suggestions. I'm going back and forth between a tractor style or hutch of some kind. I believe my chicks are all the same kind. They look exactly alike and got along the minute I put them together.

sam, do you have to trim the quails nails if you keep them in cages like that? my serama's are in cages like that and require their nails to be trimmed.

Any bird(or animals for that matter) would need their nails trimmed when kept in cages with a wire bottom. My quail won't live long enough for me to worry about it.

-Kim

I personally havent noticed...but as far as I can tell they dont. They have a section in that cage of shavings and wood for scratching...I will have to remember to look at that when I go out.

Back
Top Bottom