Quail in Ohio

quailmum16

Hatching
Dec 1, 2015
Ohio
Hello! I am new to the site and so I figured I'd take a minute to introduce myself.
I am a senior in high school and I'm new to raising any poultry. I just got three coturnix quail (2 females and one male) as well as a bunch of fertilized eggs. I am currently incubating in a simple homemade incubator, and hoping for the best! This site has been incredibly helpful in planning for and caring for my little guys, so I figured I should make an account for myself.

Thanks for all the lovely information, and wish me luck with my hatching!
jumpy.gif

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. I'm a chicken person and don't know much about Quail (never had any), but definitely post on our Quail section in Other Backyard Poutlry under the Forum at the top of the page and take advantage of our Quail experts there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your hatch.

Greetings from Snohomish Washington! #blackpondfarm

We just successfully hatched our first batch of button quail a few days ago! (My son is a sophomore and just started his flock.) I will attach photos...

Here's some tips:

Habitat: We are using 20 gallon fish aquariums with screen covers, 2 inches of shavings in the bottom, a facial tissue box cover laid on it's side for a "house" and votive candle holders for food an water dishes. We tried a bird cage, but they were very messy. The current set up is so much better that it's in my living room!

Brooder: same aquarium set up, with a heat lamp over the top. An interesting thing happened when we placed the brooder aquarium between the two breeding pairs...they stopped laying. (They were laying 11 eggs in a 7 day cycle.) They completely STOPPED.

Incubator tips:
Ours is nothing fancy. Be sure to add rocks to the floor to help regulate heat and moisture fluctuations. They won't be as dramatic with the rocks in there. The key to success is to closely monitor temperature and humidity and make adjustments. A digital thermometer is an excellent investment.

Be sure to move your quail questions over to the "quail forum". You will get a better response. GOOD LUCK with your first hatching!

Brenda, Tim, Erin and Preston
Black Pond Farm

Back
Top Bottom