Quail incubation- day 16

Wow, what a day! I feel exhausted, exhilarated, excited, and drained all at the same time! 17 chick's ended up in the incubator and I saw a lot of pips on the remaining ones but they were not as fast getting at it as the first ones. I hope they come out healthy. When I came home from work I had to help 2 chick's get free of their shells. They were semi dry with one leg out but unable to get rid of the shell around the torso and the membrane got a bit stuck on them. I increased the humidity from 65% to 80% after that and all the other chick's after that were really fast to come out!
Thank you everyone for your support so far and keeping up with the updates. My friends were kind of over me with this hatching project. Lol, I know it hard for them to understand the particulars of getting obsessed with hatching and raising quail but I'm HOOKED!!! I'm so glad I have a wonderful support from BYC experts! Thank you all! You guys are wonderful!

I will keep you posted on how many more come out of 48 if any! Fingers crossed! :)

I know what you mean! I've had 11 hatch so far out of 26 and more are pipping. I'd put 12 eggs in initially then added a few more eggs over a few days so I am surprised there are so many more pipping! I've got a range of colours from my birds - two pharaohs, two rosettas, a rosetta tuxedo, three tibetan tuxedos, two golds, and one white so far.

I've had to help a couple of mine as they were getting a bit shrink wrapped. I'm trying to keep track of which parent group the babies came from so I've got the eggs divided up, but the little sneaks kept escaping, requiring me to remove them reasonably quickly after they hatch. I've just got a cheap incubator so I've got to take the whole top off each time.

Here are a few of our cuties (I love taking photos of them)

This is Dolly, our first to hatch who was carried around by me for quite some time before some friends hatched for him/her

This is Adorable, who is just adorable and sweet

And our Rosetta Tuxedo who our daughter named Treasure

I know what you mean! I've had 11 hatch so far out of 26 and more are pipping. I'd put 12 eggs in initially then added a few more eggs over a few days so I am surprised there are so many more pipping! I've got a range of colours from my birds - two pharaohs, two rosettas, a rosetta tuxedo, three tibetan tuxedos, two golds, and one white so far. I've had to help a couple of mine as they were getting a bit shrink wrapped. I'm trying to keep track of which parent group the babies came from so I've got the eggs divided up, but the little sneaks kept escaping, requiring me to remove them reasonably quickly after they hatch. I've just got a cheap incubator so I've got to take the whole top off each time. Here are a few of our cuties (I love taking photos of them) This is Dolly, our first to hatch who was carried around by me for quite some time before some friends hatched for him/her This is Adorable, who is just adorable and sweet And our Rosetta Tuxedo who our daughter named Treasure
Your chicks are adorable!! How stinking cute! Mine won't stand still for a picture at all! I'll try some tonight and post them. I think we might have the same cheap incubator; plastic with yellow top? This morning I woke up and I had 14 more chicks to wake up to in the incubator! This brings it to 64% hatch rate! Not expected at all so it's great success as the eggs were shipped! There was another one pipping as I was going to work. It might be in my head but it seems like the hatched chicks if they're alone encourage other ones into hatching with their peeps. Super cute in any case! My 18th day started 1.5hrs ago so there is still a good chance I'll get more chicks today as there are 17 more eggs left in the incubator. I saw only one lighter chicken with pronounced lines so far all the other ones are jumbo browns. The ones in the brooder are funny! So much life and energy! They're all eating well and drinking water. I'm relieved with that! I have to frequently check I think they are dead sometime while they're sleeping! Super funny and unnerving sometimes. My daughter is loving the chicks,my cats do too! Lol! Interaction between all of them is priceless! Next I'm hatching some icelandic chickens for a friend in a couple of weeks. Can't wait! :)

Cat's love birds.

Quail are great for kids. Our kids adore them. Our cats are used to having baby birds around. Though our deaf cat is lying on top of the cage I'm using as a brooder (which is covered in a blanket) soaking up the heat from the heat lamp!

Does your lighter chick look a bit like this one? It will be Italian coloured.

Last edited:
love.gif
what lovely little quails, they are just so adorable, mine are nearly 4 weeks old and they are just so addictive i am hoping to hatch some of their babies later on in the year.

Quail are great for kids. Our kids adore them. Our cats are used to having baby birds around. Though our deaf cat is lying on top of the cage I'm using as a brooder (which is covered in a blanket) soaking up the heat from the heat lamp! Does your lighter chick look a bit like this one? It will be Italian coloured.
The quail have been a complete success! I'm so amazed that out of 48 eggs 40 hatched and are healthy! (knock on wood)! I'm doing the same thing with the blanket on top and they're loving it! I think mine are all brown ones but they do have variations of color.
This is the lightest one I think. There is so many of them I'm just enjoying them all! I have some that are really dark as wellwith almost cinnamon heads. I didn't have time to take pics of those yet. I'm amazed that you get such lovely pictures of your babies. Mine was super fast and would not stay still! There was a few cat interactions but the cats were more scared than the chicks!

He's waiting for you to fatten them up.

I'm sure! She is the chubbiest cat and was really interested in them! All 3 of my kitties are very mild mannered. I think if they were not more scared of the chicks they would adopt the chick. I'm not looking to find out though! ;)

Back
Top Bottom