Quail incubation Questions.......

horsechick

Songster
12 Years
Nov 14, 2007
Eaton, Ohio
Hello,
I have 3 types in my incubator right now..Temp has been running around 99-100, humidity running 50-60.
I need to know the temps and how many days they need to stay turning before I move to hatchers.
I keep getting different information.
So here goes.

Regular coturnix quail= how many days? when to move, on day what?

Texas A & M's= How many days, temp, humidities (are mine ok for these?)
What day to move to hatchers?

Jumbo Bobwhites= How many days and what day do I move to hatcher?

I have read anywhere from 14-16-18 days for quail and 23 for jumbos.

For the specific breeds we have what are the correct times and when should I move, on day what?

Thanks for all your help,
REALLY appreciate it!
Angela

Coturnix (all of them hatch the same) - 16-18 days. I move at about day 11 or 12, if I remember (eep).
Humidity, I personally keep it between 40 and 55 for incubation, then 65ish for hatching (it can go up to 75 before I crack it to drop it a tad).

Can't help you with bobwhites, sorry!

Thank you!

Now are Texas a & M's a coturnix also?
and bobwhites different?

Really wasn't sure how the a and m's were classed?
Thank you,
Angela

A&M's are coturnix and the bobwhites are a different species. However, they are close enough in relation (bobwhite/coturnix) to be able to hybridize, though I'm not sure if the offspring are fertile or not.
The A&M were just bred to produce white meat.

I think somebody was talking about the hybrids called bobbirds? ARG! Wish I could find the thread!

I stop turning our bobs on day 18 just like chickens. They can hatch anywhere from day 21 to day 25. And they hatch very quick and without a whole lot of notice of pipping before hand. I raise my humidity to about 70% and let it ride from there. It goes up some when they hatch, but not very high. I have ruined a hatch at 80% before.

Good Luck!

12214_bobwhite_rooster.jpg

bobbirds are a PITA to produce hybrid from a bobwhite male to a coturnix hen...they CAN breed naturally though the bobwhite male can be picky I'm told (as is to be expected differentn species and all) but sometimes it works!
smile.png
SUPPOSEDLY the hybrids are infertile, however, my friend who produced these birds hasn't said anything ot me about them being infertile... it's almost like it's a hit or miss kind of thing. She had told me that 1 in 5 eggs is fertlized? So it's a bit of a challenge...but the colors they produce are awesome!!!

I need to speak with her more, but it seems that WE (as coturnix owners) MAY alreaady have bobbird hybrids because of some of the colors we have. I can't say for sure but from what I have been slowly learning from her i'd say it's possible!
smile.png

before I talked to her i didnt believe it at all, but, now i do
smile.png
I just havent done it myself (no bobwhites). I AM going ot be buying bobbirds here soon though...
smile.png
So i'll get to test the infertile/fertile theory.

A & Ms
Tibetans
Tuxedos
Goldens (golden speckled, golden italians)
English whites
Dark Tibetan
REDs
RED tuxedo
Rosetta

etc
ARE ALL coturnix. Just like a golden, a chocolate and a black lab are ALL labs
smile.png

SO yes they can breed together because it's just a color that differs them, and yes their incubation is the same.

Back
Top Bottom