Quail incubation Questions.......

Discussion in 'Quail' started by horsechick, May 12, 2009.

1. horsechick

horsechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2007
    Eaton, Ohio
    I have 3 types in my incubator right now..Temp has been running around 99-100, humidity running 50-60.
    I need to know the temps and how many days they need to stay turning before I move to hatchers.
    I keep getting different information.
    So here goes.

Regular coturnix quail= how many days? when to move, on day what?

Texas A & M's= How many days, temp, humidities (are mine ok for these?)
    What day to move to hatchers?

Jumbo Bobwhites= How many days and what day do I move to hatcher?

I have read anywhere from 14-16-18 days for quail and 23 for jumbos.

For the specific breeds we have what are the correct times and when should I move, on day what?

Thanks for all your help,
    REALLY appreciate it!
  2. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Coturnix (all of them hatch the same) - 16-18 days. I move at about day 11 or 12, if I remember (eep).
    Humidity, I personally keep it between 40 and 55 for incubation, then 65ish for hatching (it can go up to 75 before I crack it to drop it a tad).

Can't help you with bobwhites, sorry!
  3. horsechick

horsechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2007
    Eaton, Ohio
    Thank you!

Now are Texas a & M's a coturnix also?
    and bobwhites different?

Really wasn't sure how the a and m's were classed?
    Thank you,
  4. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    A&M's are coturnix and the bobwhites are a different species. However, they are close enough in relation (bobwhite/coturnix) to be able to hybridize, though I'm not sure if the offspring are fertile or not.
    The A&M were just bred to produce white meat.
  5. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    I think somebody was talking about the hybrids called bobbirds? ARG! Wish I could find the thread!
  6. CountryMom

CountryMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    South Texas
    I stop turning our bobs on day 18 just like chickens. They can hatch anywhere from day 21 to day 25. And they hatch very quick and without a whole lot of notice of pipping before hand. I raise my humidity to about 70% and let it ride from there. It goes up some when they hatch, but not very high. I have ruined a hatch at 80% before.

Good Luck!

7. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    bobbirds are a PITA to produce hybrid from a bobwhite male to a coturnix hen...they CAN breed naturally though the bobwhite male can be picky I'm told (as is to be expected differentn species and all) but sometimes it works! [​IMG] SUPPOSEDLY the hybrids are infertile, however, my friend who produced these birds hasn't said anything ot me about them being infertile... it's almost like it's a hit or miss kind of thing. She had told me that 1 in 5 eggs is fertlized? So it's a bit of a challenge...but the colors they produce are awesome!!!

I need to speak with her more, but it seems that WE (as coturnix owners) MAY alreaady have bobbird hybrids because of some of the colors we have. I can't say for sure but from what I have been slowly learning from her i'd say it's possible! [​IMG]

before I talked to her i didnt believe it at all, but, now i do [​IMG] I just havent done it myself (no bobwhites). I AM going ot be buying bobbirds here soon though... [​IMG] So i'll get to test the infertile/fertile theory.

A & Ms
    Goldens (golden speckled, golden italians)
    English whites
    Dark Tibetan
    RED tuxedo

ARE ALL coturnix. Just like a golden, a chocolate and a black lab are ALL labs [​IMG]

SO yes they can breed together because it's just a color that differs them, and yes their incubation is the same.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by