Quail incubation questions

wanda047

Songster
10 Years
Mar 26, 2009
Hardy, Arkansas
I have over 100 quail eggs in an LG still air incubator (for the hubby!). I do NOT have a turner. There has to be an easier way to turn these little things! I've already dropped/cracked more than one
hide.gif
trying to do it the old-fashioned way (by hand). Does anyone have some suggestions for a dumb hillbilly trying to hatch her first quail eggs?

I have the eggs in a plastic quail hatching tray. I've read somewhere that the tray or bator might be tilted, instead of turning the eggs. Is this recommended and if so, how high should it be tilted? I was scared if I raised the tray too close to the heating elements that I might bake some of the eggs??
idunno.gif
I could use some suggestions.

Also, while I'm asking questions, I was told to keep the temps the same for hatching chickens, about 101-102 degrees. That correct? And humidity about 50% or should it be higher?

Are they laying in the bator? If so, just put your hand on them and lightly roll them around. That's how a friend of mine does it, and he always has good hatches.
smile.png

You can tilt the bator, but I think it needs to be either 30 degrees or 45 degrees, can't remember which. Plus you have to figure out how to keep your humidity up high enough, since you obviously wouldn't be able to fill the water wells. Probably not enough room for wet sponges with 100 eggs in there!

I keep the temps as close to 100 degrees as I can get it, for still or forced air. The humidity shouldn't drop below 45%, 50% is very good. But you need to keep it up, they dry out fast. Temp and humidity for the hatch are 99 degrees and 65%+
smile.png

Last edited:
I just put my hand inside the 'bator and roll them around a bit 3-5x a day. It's what the breeder I got my eggs from does and she said she has quail "coming out her ears!"
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom