Quail lifespan/egg production

annasurbanfarm

In the Brooder
Jan 17, 2020
I’ve read that Coturnix quail live about 3-6 years in captivity but only lay eggs well for the first 1-2 years. I’m curious what y’all do with them after the first couple years. Keep as a pet? Process and eat? Other? I don’t have the guts to process one, but also don’t exactly want to keep a non-laying hen around for years. Thoughts and opinions appreciated!

Main purpose is meat for me and eggs for Crazy Lady. It's turning into meat & eggs for the extended family. No one else wants to bother, but they will ask or at the minimum, strongly hint that they like quail. No one has accepted hatching chicks...

We plan to butcher and eat. By "we", I mean everyone I'm related to. :lau

The eggs have a different taste. The meat is more wild tasting. We like it.

As for the pet thing, quail are similar to fish. Watch, feed and clean the cage. They really don't like being petted. You can train them to accept it, but not big fans. Chickens are more interactive.

We plan to butcher and eat. By "we", I mean everyone I'm related to. :lau

The eggs have a different taste. The meat is more wild tasting. We like it.

As for the pet thing, quail are similar to fish. Watch, feed and clean the cage. They really don't like being petted. You can train them to accept it, but not big fans. Chickens are more interactive.

I think butchering would probably be the best/most practical route for us too, but I'm still not sure I could ever make myself do it. Maybe I can find someone locally who would...

I think butchering would probably be the best/most practical route for us too, but I'm still not sure I could ever make myself do it. Maybe I can find someone locally who would...
I didn't think I could do it either, and that was all of six months ago. I tried to find someone who would do it for me, and I searched hard. I finally came to the realization that I was going to have to do it myself, and while I still don't like doing it, I can. It took me three months of psyching myself up to do it. I read about other peoples' experiences, I watched videos, I bought a sharp set of shears. I think that this is taking the ultimate responsibility for eating meat.

You can do it.

You could try to get someone to butcher them on shares. You will share the quail if they will butcher. :)

The most efficient way to raise them is to keep the females as breeders for one year and the males as breeders for 6 months. You can keep the females for a second year to only lay eggs, but you will lose some productivity from them going through a molt or two.

You may not have to worry that much about them 'outliving' their life expectancy. In my experience(and by that, I mean me, my four friends, and a few strangers on the internet) coturnix hens rarely survive 3 or more years. If they do, it's almost definitely because they had sufficient 'winter breaks' from laying. Most coturnix hens that lay incessantly will kind of burn out, or wither away in 2-3 years. Males, on the other hand, can live much longer. I have seen a 7 year old coturnix male in perfect health(sans some feathers and a lost toenail, that is).

You may not have to worry that much about them 'outliving' their life expectancy. In my experience(and by that, I mean me, my four friends, and a few strangers on the internet) coturnix hens rarely survive 3 or more years. If they do, it's almost definitely because they had sufficient 'winter breaks' from laying. Most coturnix hens that lay incessantly will kind of burn out, or wither away in 2-3 years. Males, on the other hand, can live much longer. I have seen a 7 year old coturnix male in perfect health(sans some feathers and a lost toenail, that is).
7 year old coturnix quail!?!?

Back
Top Bottom