Quail Like to Stand in the Cold (-30C). Why?

DarkDoctrines

In the Brooder
May 22, 2021
Dearest fellow poultry enthusiasts,

Can you please explain what is going on here?

I live in Alberta, Canada, where the outside temperature this week will be -25C and below.

I built an insulated, heated house for my quail, which also has a covered outside run. The floors
everywhere are covered by straw. There is food and water both outside and inside.

Right now it's -30C and most of the quail are outside in the run. They cuddle together and spend
most of the time there.

What might by the reason?

Thanks for the help in advance,
Alex

I have two roosters, one of which is very active, you know what I mean. It likes to hang out mostly inside. Could it be that he scares everybody away?

What might by the reason?
Because that is where they want to be.

Could it be that he scares everybody away?
Possibly but I'd think not likely. It's possible your other boy is scaring him so he stays inside away from the flock. A lot of different things can go on with flock dynamics.

Many people tend to think that because they would be uncomfortable in a certain situation that all animals would be also. That is very often not the case. If the animal has other options then they are where they are because that is the preferred location. They could easily find your heated coop to be too warm for them.

Hi Ridgerunner,

Well, I see. I just wanted to make sure that I wouldn't go there one morning and find them
frozen solid.

There is another twist actually. I also have some bantam chickens and chukar partridges that share the same coop (it's divided into two "apartments"). The chickens and the chukars literally do not leave it and stay inside all day - I assume because it's warmer. The quail don't like to stay inside at all. Is it because they are different species or because the quail just aren't smart enough to figure out what to do?

Back
Top Bottom