Quail living seperate from other

Ocean Flare

Chirping
Jan 29, 2021
Florida, United States
Hi. I wanted to ask about something because I know quails are social and need to live with others.
I used to have my male with one female and she went bald very quickly. She actually passed away when she was one.
I then got him two females, and it was still chaos and he was still pretty aggressive with them, so I separated them and occasionally put one female in his enclosure for a bit.
Now one female died and I have the other in a cage side by side with his and he can see here all the time and I occasionally put her with him.
Do you think this is fine or should I still get more females?
The issue is he is still all over them constantly even when there were two, and there ended up being fighting amongst the two females at one point.

Attachments

• 20220313_142324.jpg
    20220313_142324.jpg
    338.9 KB · Views: 22
The ideal ratio for coturnix quail is one roo to five hens in my experience. You can have as few as three hens or as many as you like if you don't care about fertility, though.

If you are not planning on keeping up with raising quail, the setup you have isn't ideal, but is probably best. If you want to keep raising quail, then you should probably get him at least two more girls. They should have at least one square foot per bird.

For good fertility
1 male : 4 females or 1 male : 5 females

Otherwise
1 male : 6+ females

You can put them in pairs if they get along well. My aggressive male is a complete pansy when he's with one of my bigger girls so they stay as a pair and they are very happy.

I'm not sure your setup is particularly good for a lot of girls, if he is this aggressive and can't be helped then maybe stop letting him kill the girls and cull him, find a new lad to take his place. Alternatively you can try him with another couple of males however this could go bad.

Having multiple females with no males hasn't caused me issues and vice versa, but I have heard of some people having issues.

Back
Top Bottom